DCTC: Capitol Hill

DCTC Capitol HillWelcome back to the Hilltop, Hoyas! (Is it too late to say that now that it’s fall? Sorry, I’m not sorry.) We 4E-ers know that you have missed the D.C. Travel Companion more than an oreo Wisey’s cookie after a full day of classes. For those of you who are new to Georgetown or to 4E (which is a travesty), DCTC helps Georgetown students navigate and investigate DC affordably. Today we will be exploring Capitol Hill and all it has to offer (other than the Government, of course)!

Getting to the Metro:

The easiest way to get to Capitol Hill is to take the Metro from Rosslyn. If it isn’t Sunday, you can take the GUTS bus directly to the station (it’s free). If you are not on campus, or if it is Sunday, you can take the Circulator Bus to Rosslyn. The bus stops at 33rd and M Street and costs one dollar with exact change (or you can use a SmarTrip card). Another great option, if it is a nice day, is to walk across the Key Bridge to Rosslyn. It’s about a 20 minute walk from the front gates – fresh air, anyone?

Once at the Rosslyn Metro station

Cost $3.00 with a paper fare card and $2.00 with a SmarTrip card. Make sure to check the times and beware of rush hour traffic/ prices.

Route 1 To get to Capitol Hill take the Blue line towards Largo Town Center and get off at the Capitol South stop (estimated travel time is 18 minutes).

Route 2 You can also take the Orange line from Rosslyn to get to Capitol Hill. Make sure to take the train that is heading towards New Carrollton and, once again, get off at the Capitol South stop (estimated travel time is 16 minutes).

Now that you are at Capitol South, it is time to explore! Here are some of the sites that we love and you will too:

We, the Pizza – 305 Pennsylvania Ave. SE – Other than having an awesome name, this place also has some of the best pizza in the area. Be sure to try one of its homemade sodas and enjoy your food at its upstairs seating area! It is open Monday — Saturday, 11 a.m. — 11 p.m. but readers beware: they’re closed on Sundays.

Good Stuff Eatery – 303 Pennsylvania Ave. SE – If you aren’t in the mood for pizza, how about a burger? This is the original location and it is located right next to We, the Pizza. Be sure to try the Black & White Milkshake – it is delicious!

Eastern Market – 225 7th Street SE – Eastern Market is one of the most popular flea markets in D.C. It is open every Sunday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. This market has tons of stores and kiosks with various goods, and it is also surrounded by restaurants that serve fantastic brunches (Monmartre at 327 7th Street SE is a personal favorite). Make sure to either get to the area early or make reservations, because the restaurants can get quite busy when the weather is nice!

Library of Congress – 101 Independence Ave. SE – Sometimes Lau just doesn’t cut it, and we here at 4E understand that. The Library of Congress is a great option for an alternative study location! Library cards are free, but you need to register in person at the Reader Registration Station (Room LM 140 in the Madison Building). When you are there, the staff will verify your information, take your ID photo, ask you for a signature and then you will be ready to go. You can also preregister online (you still have to verify your information in person).

Enjoy Capitol Hill, Hoyas, and make sure to do some people watching!