Metro Goghs With a New SmarTrip Design

Van Gogh SmarTripThe Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) has recently released limited-edition Vincent Van Gogh Commemorative Metro SmarTrip cards!

The Commemorative Card was released in partnership with The Phillips Collection to celebrate their special Van Gogh Repetitions exhibit, running until January 2014. The new batch of nifty SmarTrip Cards (which you can buy for only $10) feature four famous Van Gogh images: “The Bedroom at Arles”, “The Road Menders”, “Madame Roulin Rocking the Cradle”, and “The Postman Joseph Roulin”.VANGOGHcards

The collaborative release isn’t the only exciting endeavor that Metro D.C. has been up to; recently, it has unveiled several new SmarTrip changes to make usage quicker and more efficient. These include “Auto Reload” features that automatically add cash every time Card balances drop below $10, a lowered price of $2 per Card and new SmarTrip dispensers in Metro locations.

Both Metro D.C. and The Phillips Collection are pleased with the Van Gogh collaboration. According to Lynn Bowersox, Metro assistant general manager for customer service, communications and marketing, “The Phillips Collection is one of the great destinations that is convenient for Metro riders and we are proud to share this wonderful artwork with our customers.”

What do you think of the new SmarTrip Cards? Plan on taking a trip to Dupont Circle to check out the Phillips Collection Exhibit? Weirded out that Van Gogh chopped off his own ear? Hit us up in the comments below.

Photos: WMATA, Wikipedia, Fairfax County