Inspiring Quotes by Laura Bush on the Future of Afghan Women

Laura BushTomorrow morning, former First Lady Laura Bush will join Secretary of State John Kerry and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Gaston Hall to discuss the future of Afghan women. Over the past decade, Mrs. Bush has been an impassioned champion for for the advancement of women in Afghanistan. To give a taste of tomorrow’s event, 4E has featured some of Mrs. Bush’s most uplifting quotes:

When we look around the world today, when we see in Afghanistan that 10 million people have registered to vote in their upcoming elections, including 40 percent of those people are women, that’s just unbelievable.

Dedication of US Embassy Building. United States Embassy.

For many Americans, the situation in Afghanistan seems too complex and too far away to confront. I worry that the message we are sending to Afghan men, women and children is that their lives are not worth our time or attention. That message must change – we cannot abandon them.

US-Afgan Women's Council

Fighting brutality against women and children is not the expression of a specific culture; it is the acceptance of our common humanity – a commitment shared by people of good will on every continent.

P24543-20a.jpg

The plight of women and children in Afghanistan is a matter of deliberate human cruelty, carried out by those who seek to intimidate and control.

bushlauramuslimwomengtty

Civilized people throughout the world are speaking out in horror — not only because our hearts break for the women and children in Afghanistan, but also because in Afghanistan we see the world the terrorists would like to impose on the rest of us.

afghan_award_web_2

The fight against terrorism is also a fight for the rights and dignity of women.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Hilltop tomorrow and hear what you have to say, Mrs. Bush. (Hopefully we’ll get a few more quotes to add to our list!)

Photos: Wikipedia, Stoykovich, White House Archives, LA Times, Georgetown, Bookish