Play While You Wait

Travel AppsAs Hoyas gear up to travel home for Thanksgiving break, many will find themselves bored waiting in an airport terminal or sitting on a train. Most of us instinctively turn to our phones to pass the time, but while travelling, there often isn’t WiFi around and cellular connection isn’t the best. To alleviate your woes, 4E has compiled some of the best apps to download and play while you anxiously wait to return home.

94 Seconds – This is basically a one-person game of Scattergories. As the name implies, you have 94 seconds to name something within a category, given one letter. For example, it could give you the category of fruit and the letter B, and you would type banana, blueberry, etc. Fair warning: This game is extremely addictive.IMG_2201-1

Flow – If you haven’t heard of this game, you need to go download it immediately. It’s extremely simple: You connect dots of the same color and try to fill up the board. Don’t let the lack of difficulty fool you. This game will literally keep you occupied for hours. There are an insane number of levels to complete, making it the perfect game to play while traveling.screen568x568

Candy Crush Saga – Almost everyone has heard of this game by now, and for good reason: It’s a great game to play when you’ve got some time to kill. Here’s a little cheat I’ve learned while playing: If you run out of lives and don’t want to wait, set your phone’s clock forward a few hours and go back into the game. Voila! More lives! (I play this game compulsively.)candycrushsaga

Any “Bloons Tower Defense” game – This is geared more towards those of you who like strategic games rather than puzzles. The main objective of the game is to pop “bloons” before they reach the end of a track that spans the screen, using towers that shoot darts, bombs and even lasers as you upgrade. Once you get up to around level 50, the game becomes more challenging, but regardless of difficulty, it remains wildly entertaining.bloons-tower-defense-3-screenshot0

Tiny Wings – This game is $0.99, but it’s worth the small purchase. Use landscaped hills to carry a tiny bird across “islands” before the sun goes down. I know it’s a strange description, but trust me, Tiny Wings is both exhilarating and addicting.screen568x568-1

Go download some (or all) of these games in the hopes that you won’t fall asleep and miss your flight. Safe travels home, Hoyas!

Photos: Inside Social Games, iTunes, Edrants, Rapidtyping, TrickTrackToe