Career Crisis Center: 5 Steps to Get The Internship You Want (or Need)

career center graphic

As the pressure to find and obtain an internship grows with each passing hour, the desperate masses descend on Leavey to seek salvation at the hands of the Cawley Career Center staff. Imposing though it may be, navigating the career services at Georgetown is both possible and practical, and thus, we present a handy guide to making the most of Cawley:

Step 1

Like many things in this life, the first step is admitting you have a problem. Still trying to work the high school activities resume? Unsure what exactly a cover letter covers? Coming to the unfortunate conclusion that there is no preregistration for life after Georgetown, and the freedom to decide your own future is pushing you toward an existential crisis? GET YOURSELF A WALK-IN. These nifty little appointments let you talk to the generalists of the staff, who can help point you in the direction of more serious aid, including resume workshops and industry-specific advising. Sign up online, Tuesday-Friday, here.

Step 2

Log on to Hoya Career Connection. Nothing soothes a troubled junior’s soul like seeing the literally thousands of internship opportunities posted on this site by employers who want Hoyas. They actually WANT you. You can search by field, desired majors, dates and really any other condition your heart desires. Many of the employers on HCC come to campus to interview, which leads us to the next step…

Step 3

Go to the On Campus Interviewing Workshop. It is not fun. There is no free food. It is not visually dynamic. But it IS absolutely necessary if you want to apply for an internship that conducts interviews on campus. As in, the Career Center will not allow you to even apply if you do not go to their workshop. THIS IS IN CAPS BECAUSE IT IS SERIOUS. You can see workshop dates and sign up by logging on to Hoya Career Connection a la Step 2.

Step 4

Check out the schedule of employers coming to campus here or by logging on to Hoya Career Connection (really trying to drive this one home). There are three primary reasons to attend these events:

1. You can **network** with alumni/others amongst the employed who may help you snag yourself a job, or at the very least, help you understand more about their company.

2. Many of the employers (looking at you, PwC!) turn their session into a workshop where they will teach you a specific skill, from writing resumes to case interviewing. Learning to interview from the people who will be conducting it? Good call.

3. Unlike the OCI Workshop, any employer worthy of your time (at least in my opinion) will provide free food.

Step 5

The most important thing to remember is that it’s not too late. The stress around finding an internship is reaching astronomical levels: Blame it on the bankers for already interviewing, blame it on your cousin who had a full-time offer junior year, blame it on the obscene proportion of Hoyas who appear to have their career goals all laid out, but don’t let it get you down. Most of us have no clue where we are headed in June, and you still have plenty of time to find out.

Photo: Tumblr.com