Attention All Animal Lovers!

AnimaliaTo all the animal lovers out there, this one’s for you. Do you like puppies? Do you want a way to be more involved in animal rights issues? Did the documentary Blackfish make you feel things? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, there’s a new club on campus that might be just what the doctor ordered: Animalia Georgetown.  

Animalia Georgetown is a new organization at Georgetown dedicated to promoting humane practices and fostering awareness of animal welfare issues through education, open dialogue and philanthropy.

However, this isn’t just another club. They make up words like Animalia! What? These people are crazy! In true 4E fashion, we’re going to break it down so you can decide if it’s the kind of crazy you’re into.

Five Things You Should Know About Animalia Georgetown:

1. Puppies!  Animalia Georgetown plans to bring puppies on campus during high stress times when “Georgetown students can use some puppy-lovin’ the most.”

2. Everybody’s welcome Meat eaters, vegans and everyone in between are welcome. The only requirement for Animalia is loving animals. So as long as you cry at all the appropriate times during animal movies (i.e. Bambi, Lassie, Air Bud, etc.), who cares what you put on your plate?

3. Popes! They’re down for the cause. Pope John Paul II believed that animals should be treated morally, and current Pope Francis chose his name after the patron saint of animals. Animal lovers are in good company.

4. Educate yourself If you haven’t already seen the movie Blackfish, put it on your Netflix list ASAP. Animalia’s first official event was a screening of the movie Blackfish, a film that has brought unprecedented attention to the detriments of keeping large, intelligent animals like orca whales in captivity and has led to protests and boycotts of SeaWorld. Animalia seeks to bring awareness to other hidden animal rights issues and educate the public about small actions that can benefit all animals everywhere.

5. They do things! Have you ever innocently tried to enjoy your favorite TV show, and then before you know it Sarah McLachlan and the song “Arms of an Angel” have you reduced to a puddle of tears on your couch?

Instead of bawling your eyes out at the super dramatic, super depressing Sarah McLachlan animal cruelty commercials, do something! Animalia is organizing volunteer days with shelters in the area, where you’ll have the opportunity both to cuddle the adorable and loving animals and to make a huge difference in their lives.

6. Real Words After further research, 4E has discovered that Animalia is in fact a real word. Animalia–(noun) the taxonomic kingdom comprising all animals. This is just further proof that Animalia is fun, can use big words and is ready to make an impact.

Check out Animalia Georgetown because puppies.

Co-authored with Sheeva L. Nesva, Mary Rogers and Jane Eisenach

Gifs: tumblr.com, weheartit.com; Photos: huffingtonpost.com, printstudio.ning.com