Washington: The City of Love (and Wine)

washington loves wineWine. It tastes better than Burnett’s. It is often imbibed on Wednesdays because of the brilliant opportunity it poses for alliteration. And it gives you horrendous hangovers. Or so they tell me. While I couldn’t possibly have any first-hand knowledge of this type of fire-water outside of Sunday Mass, apparently my fellow Washingtonians have plenty of experience with Bacchus’ favorite drink.

According to InTheCapital, the average Washingtonian drinks 25.7 liters of wine per year. This is the most liters per capita of wine consumed by any state, or in D.C.’s case, District. That’s right, our humble little District beat out even the most famous wine drinkers in California by 11.7 liters. If you don’t believe me check out this beautifully color coded map InTheCapital provided:

Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 2.57.52 PM

That’s us, the minuscule blood-red spot in Maryland. Looks like a red wine stain on the patchwork pink shirt that is America.

In trying to find some sort of takeaway from the vital information InTheCapital has reported, let’s turn to MTV’s “Awkward” for some clarity:

With this sagely advice, I now dub the District of Columbia the new City of Love. (Move over, Verona and Venice.) Cheers to our D.C. lovers and cheers to their impending wine-fueled headaches!

Photo: inthecapital.streetwise.co, hercampus.com