Best Bets — Oct. 10, 2014

bestbetscover

On Campus

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Talk

Where: Gaston Hall
When: Friday, 12 p.m.
Info: guevents.georgetown.edu
Price: Free

The African Society of Georgetown will be hosting Nigerian writer and feminist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. She will be speaking and answering some student-submitted questions. Students and faculty must bring GU ID, and those not affiliated with Georgetown must bring some form of photo ID. Doors open at 10:45 a.m. and close at 11:45 a.m. Seating is first-come, first-serve.

Mobile Soup Kitchen

Where: Lau steps/Franklin Square
When: Saturday, 1:30 p.m./
Info: guevents.georgetown.edu
Price: Free

Interested in community service? Student organization H.O.P.E will be meeting at the Lau steps at 1:30 p.m. and then driving to Franklin Square where they will be serving soup from Leo’s to the homeless. This is an amazing opportunity for students to give back to the wider D.C. community. Participants can expect to return to campus around 3:30 p.m.

Back from Ferguson

Where: ICC 105
When: Monday, 7 p.m.
Info: Facebook
Price: Free

The Black Leadership Forum, Center for Social Justice (CSJ) and Program on Justice and Peace will be hosting a conversation led by Dr. David Ragland of Bucknell University. Georgetown students who have returned from participating in the St. Louis protests will also be speaking. A light dinner will be served to all students who attend.

Shabbat on the Lawn

Where: Healy Lawn
When: Friday, 6 p.m.
Info: guevents.georgetown.edu
Price: Free

This week is the Jewish holiday of Sukkot and to celebrate, the Jewish community at Georgetown is constructing a traditional sukkah (shelter) on Healy Lawn. This year’s sukkah is designed to call attention to the problem of homelessness in our community. Several members of Georgetown Ministries will offer their thoughts.

Off Campus

Spooky Film Festival

Where: AFI Silver Theatre
When: October 9th – October 18th
Info: spookyfest.com
Price: $12 General Admission; $80 All Fest Pass

The festival presents more than 40 horror works at the AFI Silver Theatre. Anticipated films include the final in the trilogy “V/H/S Viral” and “Exists.” Check out Spooky Fest if you’re looking for a night of scares from the odd and quirky to old-school horror.

Taste of D.C. 2014

Where: Pennsylvania Ave. NW; between 9th and 14th St.
When: Saturday and Sunday, 12-7 p.m.
Info: thetasteofdc.org
Price: $10

More than 40 of D.C.’s best restaurants and food trucks on Restaurant Row will be offerring four menu items, including a “taste of” item for $3 or less, for Taste of D.C. Ben’s World Chili Eating Championship will also feature the legendary Joey Chestnut.

Hispanic Heritage Month at the National Gallery of Art

Where: National Gallery of Art
When: Through October 15th
Info: hispanicheritagemonth.gov/collections
Price: Free

The National Gallery of Art is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month from Sept. 15th to Oct. 15th. Displays include Royal Armor from Imperial Spain, Diego Rivera’s Cubist paintings and Picasso features.

Columbus Day Ceremony

Where: Union Station
When: Columbus Day; 10 a.m.
Info: kofc8600.org
Price: Free

Union Station will be hosting its annual ceremony on Columbus Day at the base of its Columbus Memorial Statue. Since 1912, these celebrations have included presentations of divisions from the Knights of Columbus (who host the event), Army and Navy. Be sure to swing by and honor the holiday while enjoying this hub of activity.