WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | Hoya Comeback Falls Short in 77-72 Loss to Creighton

Georgetown women’s basketball fell 77-72 to then No. 21 Creighton in a game decided in the final two minutes.

Hot off a 77-49 trouncing of Xavier University, the Georgetown University women’s basketball team sought to carry its momentum into a matchup with the then No. 21 Creighton Bluejays on Jan. 24 at McDonough Arena.

Despite a rough first half, the Hoyas (14-7, 4-6 Big East) clawed themselves back into contention. With just minutes remaining in the game, victory was within reach, but Georgetown could not complete the comeback against Creighton, falling 77-72 (17-3, 8-2 Big East).

The Bluejays started the game hot, outplaying the Hoyas en route to a 10-3 lead in the first three minutes of play. Georgetown’s offense quickly found its footing, however, tying the score at 10, behind 7 unanswered points. Leading the attack was sophomore guard Victoria Rivera, who scored 8 of the Hoyas’ first 10 points. 

Creighton led as the quarter wound down, but Georgetown kept pace with the potent Bluejay attack. Ultimately, the Hoyas trailed 25-21 at the end of the first quarter. Despite a valiant offensive effort, the Hoyas struggled mightily on defense. For a team that typically surrenders only 13.55 points per quarter, the Hoyas were off to an unusually poor start. 

The story was much the same as the second quarter opened: Creighton led, but Georgetown was right behind. With about four minutes left in the half, the tide turned toward the Bluejays. 

What started with two Creighton free throws careened into two consecutive 3-point shots, and as the half expired, the Bluejays led the Hoyas 43-32.

Going into halftime, Georgetown needed to contain the Creighton offensive attack, which meant making key defense adjustments.

The Hoyas began the third quarter with the ball and scored two unanswered baskets, a run Georgetown matched with a newfound strength on defense. With just under five minutes remaining, graduate forward Mya Bembry wrestled possession from Creighton, setting up senior guard Kelsey Ransom for a transition layup; the Bluejays lead was now only 4 points at 49-45.

Just minutes after that momentum-shifting play, Georgetown finally tied the game on a layup from junior forward Brianna Scott. Then, the Hoyas took their first lead of the game with about 40 seconds remaining in the third quarter, much to the delight of the home crowd. Ultimately, the two sides entered the fourth quarter tied at 55.

GUHoyas | Graduate forward Graceann Bennett gets ready to take a shot against the Creighton Bluejays.

Only 10 minutes stood between the Hoyas and an incredible come-from-behind victory over the then No. 21 team in the country. Creighton scored the first points of the quarter, but Georgetown kept the game close. With about seven and a half minutes left, Scott drained a wide-open 3-pointer to recapture the lead for the Hoyas, 60-59.

Though Georgetown led Creighton 62-61 with six minutes remaining, the game was far from over. The Bluejays refused to quit and rallied back to regain the lead. Outshooting the Hoyas and capitalizing on several trips to the charity stripe, the Bluejays carved out a small lead as the clock wound down.

With 35 seconds left, graduate guard Alex Cowan scored a layup for the Hoyas to make it a one-possession game. Time, unfortunately, was not on Georgetown’s side. 

Creighton scored once more, making it a five-point game with 14 seconds left, essentially icing the game.  A last-ditch 3-pointer from Ransom did not find the bottom of the net, and Georgetown ultimately fell to the Creighton Bluejays 77-72.

Despite falling short, several Hoyas shined. Scott led the team in scoring with 17 points on 70% shooting. Scott and Bembry each grabbed 7 rebounds, and Ransom scored 14 points, grabbed 5 rebounds and added 6 assists. Graduate forward Graceann Bennett scored 10 points in addition to a block, 3 rebounds and 3 assists.

Despite such a heartbreaking loss, Head Coach Darnell Haney remained resolute.

“We’re going to take this game and learn from it,” Haney told Georgetown Athletics in a postgame interview. “Learn what it takes to play against a tournament team.” 

The Hoyas continued their schedule against St. John’s (14-9, 8-3 Big East) on Jan. 28, falling 57-56 in a heartbreaker. Next, Georgetown lost their third straight in forgetful fashion, a 71-54 defeat to Seton Hall (13-8, 5-5 Big East) on Jan. 31. The Hoyas will look to get back on track in a winnable game at home against DePaul (11-12, 3-7 Big East) this Sunday, Feb. 4.