College Students Love D.C.

D.C. is quite clearly an awesome place to be. And now, the media is taking notice. This month, D.C. was chosen the third best city in America. In September Forbes released a list of the most hipster neighborhoods in the country, placing the H Street corridor at 6th. Now, our very own D.C. is the best college city in the country, according to The Huffington Post and The Princeton Review.

As Georgetown students, we have front row seats to the best college city experience in the country. It’s not that hard to see — from a professional standpoint, we have access to the most infamous network of interns anywhere, with government offices, lobbying firms, contractors and banks constantly looking for some impressionable, free college labor.

More importantly, though, D.C. is an incredibly fun city for us college kids. There are tons of bars. Tons of restaurants. Food trucks. Free concerts. Free museums. Easy public transportation. And in Georgetown in particular, we have quality fun institutions within blocks of campus (Tombs, Booey’s, Rhino, Thirsty Thursday at Thirds). Plus, Georgetown is far enough removed from the city to maintain its collegiate feel (despite the complaints of our neighbors). What more could you want from a college town?

Really not much. When most people think of college towns, they’re probably thinking of places like Ann Arbor, Mich. (10th on the list); Boulder, Colo.; State College, Pa.; or Columbus, Ohio. But here at Georgetown, we are witnesses to the same collegiate amenities as those college towns — with the added bonus of living in one of the most exciting cities in the country. Basically, boredom in D.C. is no excuse for a college student.

Other cities and universities ranking highly on the list include New Orleans with Tulane University, Boston with Boston University and New York with NYU, Columbia and Barnard. Our other D.C. brethren at The George Washington University and American came in 3rd and 8th, respectively.