“Full Court Press” Ups Its Political Game

Now in its second semester, Georgetown University Television political talk show “Full Court Press” returns to the air with an aim to provide a distinct political voice for the university community.

Coerte Voorhees (COL ’12), the mind behind the idea for “Full Court Press,” identified himself as the show’s liberal force, while co-host James Pickens (COL ’12) tends to favor a more conservative view.

Together, they hope that this semester they will be able to recapture the original spirit of the show as well as forge a new path for its future.

Voorhees was inspired to create the program while working at GUTV his junior year.

“I asked myself, ‘At a school like Georgetown, in one of the most politically-charged cities in the world, why on earth did we not have our own political talk show?'”

Relying upon his background in film production and his long-time interest in politics, Voorhees decided to create a show that explored American political life through interviews with politicians and debates between Georgetown students.

“It really is a Georgetown show. It showcases the incredible opportunity we have by living here — to have a discourse,” he said.

The program has played host to personalities such as Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) and Rep. Jared Polis(D-Colo.). Future episodes will feature former Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, who is currently running for the U.S. Senate.

“I just walked up to Gov. Kaine on the street and asked him if he would want to be on our show, and he was very interested,” Voorhees said.

However, Voorhees and Pickens insist that the undergraduates are the stars of the program. They are looking to bring that student spirit back this semester.

“Some of the students who come on the show are smarter and sharper than a lot of the people I see on MSNBC and CNN. It says a lot about our student body as a whole,” Voorhees said.

Pickens reinforced the importance of students sharing their opinions on public matters.

“No matter what your political stripes are, these issues are so important to our future. We all should get involved. If we have learned anything from the Internet revolution ,it’s that everyone has the opportunity to voice their opinions,” he said. “We really have a tradition of dialogue here at Georgetown, and one of our main goals with the show is to showcase that Georgetown identity.”