TENNIS: GU Battles Weather, Strong Competition

Both the men and women played one fewer match than they anticipated this weekend, as Coppin State canceled the Friday dual match less than 48 hours before it was set to begin. The Hoyas used the opportunity to hit a few extra balls, before beginning play over the weekend.

The practice proved worthwhile, as the men looked particularly sharp on Saturday, playing Williams College. The Hoyas captured the pivotal doubles point, winning the first and third doubles match by the same score of 8-3. Williams College evened the score early, taking the first point in a 6-0, 6-0 win over senior Dave Tillem.

With the match tied, the Hoyas roared back, taking the next four points in straight sets. Senior Anthony Tan was an easy 6-3, 6-0 winner and junior Bryan Miller battled for a 7-6, 6-4 victory. Senior Will Lowell sealed the match for the Hoyas with his 6-4, 6-2 victory, which was followed by a tough 7-6, 6-3 win for freshman standout Charlie Caris.

“[It was a] great recovery after losing the deciding match against Emory over the spring break road trip,” Head Coach Gordie Ernst said.

The Hoyas were unable to win the final singles match, as sophomore Andrew Bruhn dropped a tight 6-2, 6-7, 6-3 match.

The Hoyas looked to keep the momentum going as they took on conference rival St. John’s. The rivalry between Georgetown and St. John’s has become particularly heated in the past few years, as the Hoyas have stolen some close victories. The matches featured players who had battled against each other in the juniors and according to Ernst, the head coaches have a long history.

It was St. John’s turn to shine in this rivalry, as the Red Storm took the match 6-1. The Hoyas won the doubles point, capturing two of three matches, but they were only able to capture one set in the singles.

“The score doesn’t reflect how close the match was,” Ernst said. “Every point was a battle. Unfortunately we came up on the wrong side of it.”

He was especially pleased with Caris’ play.

“[Caris] showed he can play with anyone, which is going to lead to an amazing career at Georgetown,” Ernst said.

While the men had an up-and-down weekend, the women fell flat, losing 6-0 to James Madison. The women quickly fell into a 3-0 hole, as the Bulldogs posted straight sets wins in the first, fourth and fifth positions. The women appeared to be on the verge of staging a comeback as freshmen Victoria Sekely and Ally Landers won the first sets, and sophomore Jacquie Harrison rallied to level her match at one set all.

The Bulldogs tore apart Georgetown’s hopes as Kinsey Pate took the third set from Sekely 6-0. Landers and Harrison fought hard but ultimately were unable to deliver a point for the Hoyas, losing 6-4 and 6-3, respectively, in the third set.

Ernst sees the potential in a team that has had its share of heart-breaking losses.

“We lost three three-set matches,” he said. “We were just a few sets away from forcing the doubles matches, where we have been strong all year. We are a player or two away from being an elite member of the Big East.”

Both teams will look to rebound Friday at Longwood, and the men will then return to D.C. to play cross-town rival The George Washington University. “