Student Assaulted in Burglary on 36th Street

A student was physically assaulted in a burglary at an off-campus townhouse near the intersection of 36th and O Streets Wednesday night, according to the Department of Public Safety.

DPS reported in a public safety alert that the student confronted a suspect in the residence at 9:20 p.m. The suspect said he was looking for someone, but when the student asked to look into the suspect’s backpack, the suspect punched him in the face and fled the residence.

Two laptops, a camera and a watch were stolen in the burglary.

The suspect is described in the PSA as a 30- to 35-year-old black male of dark complexion and medium build, wearing a white shirt.

Though DPS posted the PSA on its website, it did not send an email alert to students. Typically, PSA emails are sent out for any kind of burglary or violent crime.

The incident Wednesday night was the fourth burglary in the area this week and is the 19th burglary to be reported by DPS since the beginning of the calendar year. By comparison, DPS reported a total of three burglaries during the same time period last year.

In the PSA, DPS stated that there have been eight burglaries at residences in the Metropolitan Police Department’s second district, which includes the Georgetown area, during the past two weeks.

DPS advised students to keep doors and windows locked at all times and cautioned against confronting burglars.