Health Week Events Highlight Resources

Health Education Services kicked off its first BeWell Week Monday, featuring fitness classes and sex jeopardy, to raise awareness of health issues and on-campus resources that address them.

Tessa Telly, social norms coordinator and health promotion counselor, said students often overlook the services offered by HES.

“We’re here, we’re free and we want to make sure students [are healthy] so they can focus on academics,” she said.

Each day of BeWell Week, which is cosponsored by the Stall Seat Journal, Yates Fitness Center and The Corp, sports a different theme. Students are encouraged to be energized on Monday, relaxed on Tuesday, informed on Wednesday, proactive on Thursday, happy on Friday and connected to the community on Saturday.

“For me, from my educational background, I like the encompassing concept of wellness — not just the physical, but also the social, emotional and intellectual aspects of it,” Telly said.

Organizers said that they are most excited about the Hoya Health Hut, a mobile health office that will appear in different locations each day.

“Our office is tucked away, so this is a way for us to meet students where they are and provide health information in a fun manner,” Telly said.

The Hoya Health Hut will offer games like Georgetown versions of Plinko and Spin the Wheel, as well as free T-shirts, sports bottles, reusable bags and refreshments. Students can follow the Hoya Health Hut on Twitter to find out where to find giveaways like free drinks from The Corp and free chair massages.

“If we make it fun and more interactive and engaging, we get the students’ attention,” HES Director Carol Day said. “We’re in the process of trying to make it as interactive and entertaining as possible while still getting information across to students.”

Free yoga, meditation, cardio, water aerobics and toning classes will be offered throughout the week at Yates, along with sessions on academic success and stress relief. Free Sweetgreen frozen yogurt, a Whole Foods cooking class and a Georgetown University Grilling Society cookout will provide a culinary balance to the physical activities of the week. A volunteer event sponsored by Alpha Phi Omega on Saturday will focus on cleaning up the Potomac waterfront area.

“I think it’s great that Health Education Services is doing something like this to raise awareness about outlets on campus to live healthily,” said Jordan Megna (COL ’12), president of the Georgetown University Running Club, which is one of the 16 partners contributing to BeWell Week. The club will lead an untimed Fun Run Saturday designed to encourage students to exercise and have fun doing it.

While BeWell Week will end Saturday, Telly said she hopes students will continue to focus on health issues after the events are over.

“We wanted for all BeWell Week events to be something students could continue throughout the year,” she said.