SOFTBALL: Hoyas Stay Hot, Take Road Series From Huskies

It appeared as if the Hoyas (10-16, 2-1 Big East) may slip back into their losing ways on the road on Saturday. Connecticut had rallied to tie the game at four, erasing Georgetown’s 4-1 lead, when senior shortstop Samantha Peters stepped to the plate to start the seventh inning. Peters delivered the eventual game-winning solo home run to continue what was then a three-game winning streak.

Since its difficult loss in Philadelphia to Drexel, Georgetown has exploded offensively, scoring 35 runs in its past four games – a key reason why the Hoyas have won three of their last four games.

“I am definitely excited about the offense, ” Head Coach Pat Conlan said. “If you believe you can score runs it takes a great deal of pressure off the defense and pitching.”

Senior third baseman Demetria Cipriano and sophomore Mackensey Carter have been a major part of the offensive eruption. Cipriano went a sizzling 10-for-15 over the past four games and is currently in the top 10 in hitting in the Big East with a .397 average on the season. Her 16 RBIs are also second on the team.

Carter earned the victory in both of Georgetown’s wins over Connecticut this weekend, giving her three wins on the season as she has pitched to the tune of a 3.30 ERA. Over the past four games, she has gone 9-for-14 at the plate, including two homers against Rhode Island, and on the season she is hitting .368.

Trip to Connecticut

The first game of Georgetown’s three-game series in Storrs, Conn., came down to the seventh inning. After going down 1-0 in the first inning, the Hoyas responded to tie the game in the third with a lead-off double by junior McKinley Cooper and an RBI triple by Carter.

Both teams’ bats started to heat up in the final two innings. Georgetown loaded the bases, and a single by freshman catcher Shikara Lowe drove in two runs. A Cipriano single then gave the Hoyas a 4-1 lead. The Huskies countered in the bottom of the sixth, however, to tie the game at four.

A solo home run by Peters would give Georgetown the lead in the top of the seventh, and later in the inning, the Hoyas went up 6-4 when senior second baseman Kelsie Hanson was able to steal home.

Late-inning dramatics also decided Georgetown’s second game of its Saturday doubleheader against Connecticut. The game remained tied at three through the first five innings until Georgetown’s offense broke the deadlock in the top of the sixth. The Hoyas took the lead on a double by the game’s winning pitcher, Carter, who knocked home Hanson. RBI singles by both Cipriano and sophomore first baseman Cara Saverese increased Georgetown’s lead to 6-3.

Cooper was then able to drive in two more runs with a single to the right side of the infield. Connecticut regained two runs in the seventh inning, but Carter ended the threat by inducing a pop out.

Georgetown’s last game in Connecticut would take extra innings to decide the winner. Carter’s single in the first inning scored Peters, giving the Hoyas an early 1-0 lead. The Blue and Gray maintained the lead until the fifth inning, when Connecticut put together a three-run bottom half to take a 3-1 advantage.

The Hoyas responded immediately to even the score in the sixth. Freshman second baseman Jadig Garcia scored on a wild pitch and junior catcher Jillian Webb hit an RBI double. Both teams failed to push across any runs in the next three innings, but in the bottom of the 10th, Connecticut’s Kim Silva hit a walk-off single to end the game 4-3.

Winning two of three was something that Conlan said she was very pleased with.

“We finally put together every aspect of the game,\” she said. \”We have always had the ability. We just finally put three complete games together.”

Georgetown returns to the diamond on Tuesday when it plays host to Towson at Guy Mason Field.”