’24’ Spends Some Real Time in Georgetown

Jack Bauer and his gang stormed into Georgetown last week to film a segment of the television show “24.”

After six seasons of the president conveniently being in Los Angeles whenever hell breaks lose, the cast and crew finally came to Washington, D.C., for a week of filming in the nation’s capital.

Locations included the national mall, the Washington Monument, the Capitol building, and Georgetown. One scene called for filming at a house in the 3300 block of N Street.

“Everything you see inside is done in [Los Angeles],” Christina Northrup, an executive assistant for the show, said. “We came to D.C. to shoot a lot of exterior shots.”

“It’s hard to fake Georgetown in L.A.,” John Latenser, location manager, said.

Spectators from Georgetown and the surrounding areas gathered to watch the filming. Some of the actors present included Kiefer Sutherland (Jack Bauer) and Carlos Bernard (Tony Almeida).

Latenser said several other VIPs from D.C. were at the Georgetown site, although he did not say which ones. Michael Chertoff, secretary of homeland security, was on hand when the show filmed Sunday morning at the historic Willard InterContinental Hotel, the GW Hatchet reported.

Bernard said he is glad to finally get to shoot in D.C. “The energy in the city is fantastic,” he said, “I love it.”

Bernard also said the cast has explored the city apart from just filming.

“We’ve been having a good time,” he said. “[Friday] night we went to Billy Martin’s, which was a good time.”

As for his character, Bernard could not reveal much.

“Let’s just say he’s a changed man,” Bernard said.