A QB Is Picked, But Offense Still Hurts

As the new Multi-Sport Facility continues to develop into a finished product, so does Georgetown’s football team.

With the season opener a week away, Georgetown’s starting lineups are nearly finalized. Last night Head Coach Bob Benson announced junior Nick Cangelosi as the Hoyas’ starting quarterback, thus settling the team’s most pressing position concern.

“I picked Nick for his leadership and decision-making abilities,” Benson said.

Cangelosi, a transfer from the University of North Carolina, has played in only one contest for the Hoyas. In Georgetown’s 45-7 loss to Duquesne last September, Cangelosi played in the second half, completing one pass for two yards and carrying the ball four times for nine yards. A red-shirt freshman at UNC, Cangelosi has little experience in collegiate games, but he was the No. 1-ranked quarterback in New Jersey his senior year of high school and will compensate for his inexperience with his size, strength and athleticism.

Junior Keith Allan was competing with Cangelosi for the starting spot at quarterback. The starter for four games early in 2004, Allan will see significant playing time as a backup this season.

“It was a tight competition,” Benson said of deciding between Cangelosi and Allan. “We are going to need both of them this year.”

Last season Benson waited considerably before naming his starting quarterback – Drew Crawford (SFS ’05) was announced as the starter just two days before the season opener – but this year Benson wanted to give his offensive players more time to become familiar with each other. Cangelosi was selected with one week of practice remaining before Georgetown’s first game.

“I wanted to do what was best for the team,” Benson said regarding the timing of his decision. “I wanted to give the players a chance to get comfortable with the guy who will be taking the snaps.”

Even with the quarterback question settled, there are a few holes remaining in Georgetown’s offense. Although the season has not yet begun, injuries are already taking a toll on the Hoyas. ost significantly, senior captain and first-string running back Kim Sarin will miss the entire 2005 season due to a back injury that was diagnosed this summer.

“It hurts,” junior defensive end Alex Buzbee said of losing Sarin. “He was a great player for us. . But people will have to step up. That’s the way it goes, football’s a contact sport.”

Last year Sarin set Georgetown’s single-season rushing record with 1,051 yards on 207 carries. He was the focal point of the Hoyas’ offense and his absence will leave a large hole to fill in the backfield. Senior Marcus Slayton and sophomore Emir Davis, who both put up solid rushing numbers last year behind Sarin, will be asked to step up in 2005.

“I think it is a strength, what we have,” Benson said of his backs. “This running back group is excellent. arcus Slayton and Emir Davis are going to be the two top guys.”

Both Slayton and Davis, however, are currently injured as well. Neither player participated in the team’s inter-squad scrimmages this week, although both are expected to be healthy and suit for the season opener next week.

“All the tailbacks are out, every one of them,” Benson said. “We have to get them all back, but they are all hurt. All of them hopefully will be ready for Bucknell.”

In the team’s inter-squad scrimmage yesterday, sophomore John Lancaster filled in as the primary running back and, according to Benson, will see playing time at the position even when Slayton and Davis return.

Other notable injuries are to senior captain and defensive back aurice Banks and senior offensive lineman Robert LaHayne. Both players sat out the two inter-squad scrimmages this preseason with knee injuries, and they remain questionable for the Bucknell game.

One Hoya whose playing time is not in question is senior captain and defensive end Michael Ononibaku. A preseason all-America honorable mention and an all-Patriot League first team member last year, Ononibaku looks to again anchor the Georgetown defense that was ranked third in the Patriot League last year and returns nine starters this fall. Along with junior Alex Buzbee, an all-Patriot League second team honoree last year, Ononibaku will look to break Georgetown’s sack record this fall.

With one week until opening kickoff, Georgetown will need to use its time to get its players healthy and working together.