ABC to Air Documentary on Professor Killed on 9/11

The life and death of Georgetown Public Policy Institute professor Leslie Whittington will be documented in ABC News’s “Up Close” this evening. Whittington, along with her husband Charles Falkenberg and daughters Zoe, 8, and Dana, 3, was killed when her airplane, American Airlines Flight 77, crashed into the Pentagon last Sept. 11.

The segment was shot at Georgetown on Aug. 28 and will include an interview with Kerry Pace, Director of Student Services and Affairs at GPPI. A close friend and colleague, Pace recounted personal anecdotes and Whittington’s devotion to her family, Associate Director of Communications Vickie Jones said.

Former student Alan Berube (GRD ’99) will also share stories about his experience in Whittington’s class and the values she imparted in addition to her academic knowledge.

“Both Kerry and Alan provided very heart-felt interviews that spoke highly of the compassionate and talented person Leslie was and what she meant to them professionally and personally,” Jones said.

Whittington, who taught microeconomics and public finance among other courses at Georgetown, was traveling to Australia to complete a fellowship when the terrorist attacks occurred.

These interviews and others will be part of the program, anchored by Ted Koppel and scheduled to air tonight at 12:30 a.m. in Washington, D.C.