After Conquering Collegiate Sailing, Campbell Has Eyes on 2008 Olympics

Senior Andrew Campbell is not just the best sailor at Georgetown, nor is he merely the top sailor in the college ranks. He is the No. 1 ranked men’s singlehanded sailor in America. “There’s only one Andrew,” as Head Coach Mike Callahan says. While most college athletes set goals like making the playoffs or winning a championship, Campbell has spent the last four years training to achieve something more. He wants to represent the United States at the Olympics and he is well on his way to making that dream a reality. “I’ve been doing this Olympic thing essentially on the side while I’ve been in college, so that’s been my secondary focus,” Campbell says. “I’ve been lucky enough to continue doing well in it, and I’m excited to push it to its fullest potential and see where it can go.” A celebrity within the sailing world, Campbell has compiled a résumé that is in many ways unprecedented. Among others, one accomplishment that stands out: He has never lost a college laser regatta. Those who know Campbell’s story would say that he was born to be a sailor. His parents met through sailing and his father was a successful professional who won the America’s Cup in 1992. “I saw my dad as one of those guys who did really well at the sport,” Campbell says. “He’s done a lot of things that I’m starting to do now that I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I wanted to be an all-American in college and I wanted to one-up my dad because he was a three-time all-American.” Campbell will likely surpass his father by achieving his fourth all-American distinction when this season comes to a close. Campbell’s success, however, has not been simply the result of good genes. Countless hours of practice have helped him to reach the level at which he finds himself today. Raised in San Diego, Calif., Campbell began sailing when he was five years old. As a kid, he competed in a junior sailing program and raced against his friends after school. He soon developed into one of the most skilled young sailors in the country. By the summer after his senior year of high school, he had become the first person to win three consecutive U.S. Youth Singlehanded Championships. He also won the ISAF Youth World Singlehanded Championship in 2002. Coming to Georgetown, he joined a program in a period of transition. “When Andrew came in as a freshman, we had graduated one of our best classes ever, the class of 2002,” Callahan says. “They were the group that had won a national championship and finished runner-up a couple of times. We graduated five all-Americans, so we were basically replacing five all-Americans with Andrew.” Fortunately for the Hoyas, Campbell was up to the task. According to Callahan, the transition was “seamless,” as the star freshman helped Georgetown continue its sailing excellence. In the fall of his freshman year, the Hoyas won the Navy Intersectional and were the top-ranked team in the nation for several weeks. “It was a group of people who I had never met before, and we weren’t expected to do all that well,” Campbell says. In addition to leading his team to victory, Campbell garnered individual honors early in his freshman year, as he won the ICSA men’s singlehanded national championship. “That was a big stepping stone for me to say to the group that I’m somebody who is going to stick around here, and I’m not messing around at all,” Campbell says. Campbell went on to be named U.S. Sailing’s Male Athlete of the Year in 2002, an honor he would once again receive in 2005. He made winning the ICSA men’s singlehanded national championship a habit, as he became the first sailor to claim that title three times. During the fall semester of his sophomore year, Campbell took a leave of absence from Georgetown in order to train for the Olympic trials. “I tried to peak at that point to try to be at my highest level of competition,” he says. “Things didn’t work out. I had a couple of starting penalties and blew that chance.” Although he failed to qualify for the 2004 Olympics, Campbell said that he is confident about his chances to make it to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Starting this June, he will spend a year and a half preparing for the 2007 Olympic trials. He plans to train and race in Germany, Poland and China, as well as his hometown of San Diego. “I think if I train hard enough and get enough experience in the different conditions that I need, then I can definitely win the Olympic trials,” Campbell says. “I definitely have a chance to do it at least.” Campbell’s laid-back Californian appearance is deceiving. While he is on the water, he is a fierce competitor with an unwavering will to win. “He just really pushes himself very hard and pushes his teammates very hard,” junior Dan Esdorn says. According to Callahan, Campbell is a vocal leader who tries to ensure that his teammates are constantly focused. “It’s easy for a coach when you have your best sailor, the guy who’s the best in college, start yelling at people to do a better job,” Callahan said. Campbell’s mere presence on the squad is a boon in that other sailors can learn from watching his techniques. What’s more, the Hoyas benefit from racing against Campbell during practices. “Having him on the water every day means we’re competing with the best,” senior Ed DuMoulin says. “He’ll dominate you in a bunch of races, but trying to keep up with him helps you improve.”I think that the example that he sets – the way he prepares and the way he competes – has really helped everyone on the team,” Assistant Coach Bill Ward says. After he graduates this week from the School of Foreign Service with a degree in regional and comparative studies, Campbell’s first priority will be leading Georgetown to wins at the ICSA Team Race national championship from May 28-30 and the ICSA Coed national championship from May 31-June 2. And though he will compete in his last college race on June 2, Campbell will leave a lasting legacy on the Georgetown sailing program. More than that, he will likely be remembered as one of the best college sailors of all time. Says Callahan, “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime type of deal. You can’t replace him.”