After Failed Congressional Bid, Feder Returns to the Hilltop

Sitting in her office on the fourth floor of the Car Barn, Judy Feder, dean of Georgetown’s Public Policy Institute, probably wonders how life may have been different if her window were overlooking Capitol Hill.

After losing her congressional bid earlier this month, the thought is inevitable.

But Feder, a Democrat, says that she values the time she spent on the campaign trail.

“It was inspiring to meet people who were excited and appreciative that I was running,” she said. “It was just all wonderful except for the end.”

Feder has now returned to the Hilltop after taking a leave of absence to run for a House seat in Virginia’s 10th district, which includes many Washington, D.C., suburbs.

In spite of Feder’s loss, a Hoya still won the election, as incumbent Frank Wolf (LAW ’65, R-Va.) held onto his seat by a 16-percentage point margin.

Feder’s campaign was fueled by 20-30 volunteers from the Georgetown University College Democrats, as well as by Feder’s son, who served as her press secretary.

Feder’s platform included positions on national issues like a strategic change for the war in Iraq, the need for an energy efficiency plan and universal healthcare, as well as statements on local concerns such as cutting traffic.

Conceding defeat on election night, she said realized that she gained so much experience during the campaign that she felt pride rather than disappointment following defeat.

“The amount of warmth and pride made me feel so proud that I am really glad that I did it,” she said.

When she returns to the classroom next semester to teach a public policy course, she wants to bring new dimensions to a phrase she always told her students: “It takes good politics to make good policies.”

“I believe that having practiced in electoral politics, I will be able to better communicate [to] them what it means to be in a campaign,” Feder said.

Joseph Ferrara, director of the executive master’s degree program at the Public Policy Institute, agreed that Feder’s experience will make her a better instructor.

“Even before this, of course, Judy already had a wide range of experience in the world of policy and politics,” he said. “Her experiences as a congressional candidate will add to this impressive breadth of knowledge.”

George Burke, communications director for the Fairfax County Democratic Committee, said that Feder put up a respectable fight despite her defeat, ably contesting the 13-term incumbent. “She raised a great campaign, and, quite frankly, has done a better job than other challengers in many, many years,” Burke said.

Feder does not have to fear that the support she maintained this year will be short-lived. College Democrats President Liz Fossett (SFS ’08) said she was sure the club would campaign for Feder again if she chooses to pursue elected office in the future.

Burke also said that he also would like to see Feder try again for public office.

“She is a quality candidate. She is an articulate candidate. And she certainly takes up a right position on the issues facing our nation today,” he said.