ANC Endorses Sports Complex, MSB Building

The local Advisory Neighborhood Commission handed the university a major victory in its campus construction efforts Tuesday night, voting unanimously to recommend to District officials that construction proceed on Georgetown’s planned Multi-Sport Facility and McDonough School of Business Center.

Residents and commissioners questioned university administrators about the projects’ impact on neighborhood traffic and noise levels for over half an hour before the commission issued its recommendation.

Georgetown must still get approval from the D.C. Zoning Commission at a meeting scheduled for Nov. 28. The ANC’s recommendation may weigh heavily in those proceedings, however, and administrators said this week’s decision was a significant step forward in the university’s plans for two of its most prominent construction projects.

“I think that the commissioners understood that the university has worked hard on these issues,” said Todd Olson, vice president for student affairs. “We’re very pleased and we appreciate the support from the ANC and we appreciate the support form all our neighbors as we work to improve Georgetown.”

University Architect Alan Brangman, who conducted much of the university’s presentation, said that he was unsurprised the ANC’s positive reaction to Georgetown’s zoning proposal.

“I was not surprised by their questions, that there would be questions about traffic and parking,” he said. “I’m happy that they’re continuing to support the projects.”

The commission issued the recommendation without proposing new restrictions on the Multi-Sport Facility and business center, assuaging some administrators’ fears that the board would attempt to impose further conditions on Georgetown’s use of the facilities.

“I never really had a question as to whether they would be approved. There was only a question on” restrictions on the approval, said Karen Frank, vice president for facilities and student housing. “I think [the Multi-Sport Facility] is really going to become the focal point of campus life. I think the neighbors recognize that the more we’re able to provide on campus, the more students will like to stay involved on campus.”

The first phase of the Multi-Sport Facility – an artificial turf field and partial fence – has already been completed. Construction on the facility’s proposed stands, which will double as buildings with offices, locker rooms and other amenities, will begin after the university receives final zoning approval and meets its fundraising targets, according to facilities officials.

The planned MSB Center, which will consolidate MSB offices and classrooms into one 172,000-square foot building, is also awaiting final zoning approval and fundraising. Frank said in an interview last week that the center could be completed as early as 2008.

Brett Clements (COL ’07), the ANC’s sole student commissioner, voiced his strong support for the projects and said he was excited by the two facilities’ potential.

“I think the MSF and MSB facility will be a great addition to campus,” Clements said. “Academics and campus life will benefit greatly from these projects. I also think that they will be a draw for prospective students visiting the university.”

Clements also praised his fellow commissioners for their actions Tuesday night.

“I didn’t know quite what to expect going into Tuesday’s meeting. This was the first major university project that the ANC has seen during my nine-month tenure,” he said. “In general, resident opinion drives the ANC proceedings and on this particular night, it seemed as though neighbors were receptive to the ideas the university presented.”

Throughout the presentation at Georgetown Visitation, commissioners’ questions focused on traffic and parking issues. Several residents also expressed concern that the proposed new stands for the Multi-Sport Facility, which will increase seating capacity at Harbin Field from 3,700 to 4,500, would crowd limited parking spaces near campus and complicate traffic flow.

Brangman told the commission that the proposed complex would not snarl traffic or reduce parking availability, since many of the attendees at the field’s athletic events would be students and faculty who are already on campus. The university will also have campus parking available during games, he said.

Linda Greenan, assistant vice president for external relations, also said that Georgetown had agreed not to hold any large-scale athletic events on the field between 4 and 7 p.m. on weekdays, to avoid neighborhood traffic congestion during rush hour.

Commissioner John Lever supported the proposal, but asked the university to consider the impact of the proposed five-story MSB center on graduate enrollment levels.

“I would like to see some consideration by Georgetown about what kind of expansion we’re looking at,” he said. “You’re looking at a facility that can be used by the graduate program far more than the current facility.”

The commission delivered a setback to a secondary university proposal, however, voting unanimously to “vigorously oppose” administrators’ efforts to erect a large lighted marquee on the exterior of the Royden B. Davis, S.J., Performing Arts Center.

As soon as someone walks on campus, “You’d see this thing that looks like it belongs on the Vegas Strip,” Clements said. “I’ve shown these plans to a bunch of students, and I actually haven’t found a single person that likes them.”

Commissioner Bill Skelsey said that he understood the desire for a marquee, but still opposed the proposal.

“It is a unique building on campus, it’s the only theater, and it could therefore call for a unique kind of signage,” he said. “[But] I think students will know anyway, and how much extra advertising do you need to do?”