And Then There Were Four

Twenty-five years after the Hoyas fell to the Tar Heels in a classic championship matchup, second-seeded Georgetown (30-6) finally got its revenge in another memorable contest. Coming back from 10 points down with just over six minutes remaining, the Hoyas sent the game into overtime on a huge three-pointer from junior guard Jonathan Wallace, and then blew by the Tar Heels, scoring 14 unanswered points to clinch their tickets to Atlanta.

“We’re just extremely fortunate to come away with a win here tonight, and we’re extremely happy to be moving on,” Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said.

Top-seeded North Carolina (31-7) led for nearly the entire game, but suffered a monumental collapse with its season on the line. Over the final 15 minutes, including overtime, the Tar Heels made just three field goals. UNC missed its first 12 attempts in overtime and by the time freshman guard Ty Lawson hit a three there were only eight seconds left on the clock and the Hoyas were already on their way to the Final Four.

“We were fortunate enough that they missed their shots. We got stops on the defensive end to go on that 14-0 run,” said Georgetown junior forward Jeff Green, who was named the outstanding player of the East regional. “We had to keep going on offense. We made shots and they didn’t.”

The Hoyas now move on to face Ohio State (34-3) in the national semifinals next Saturday at the Georgia Dome. The contest with the Buckeyes will be a rematch of last year’s round of 32 contest, which the Hoyas won 70-52 to advance to the Sweet 16.