Anonymous Flyer Attacks Liberal Campus Groups

Anonymous flyers supporting Georgetown’s Catholic heritage and offending a number of student groups were distributed this past weekend at various campus locations.

Entitled “The New Current,” the flyers encourage helping “poor whites,” not only “disadvantaged minorities.”

The flyer resorted to anti-Semitism in criticizing the university for supporting the LGBTQ community.

“Just like the conniving Jews, when you give gays an inch, they take a mile,” reads one of the “Special Points of Interest” on the flyer.

The flyer also attacked the Center for Minority Educational Affairs and the university administration for supporting affirmative action, along with H*yas for Choice and Georgetown Solidarity Committee.

With only an anonymous e-mail address to contact the students who wrote the flyer, the distributor declined to be identified.

“I find it fascinating that it’s anonymous,” Chuck VanSant, interim coordinator of LGBTQ resources, said. “It proposes to be this bold criticism and it’s completely anonymous.”

Ilana Kessler (SFS ’06), who found the flyers in the lobbies of the Southwest Quad and Leavey Center, holds a similar view.

“My immediate reaction was that they were so outlandishly offensive as to be funny, and that they must have been written by one ultra-radical person too cowardly to say these things except anonymously,” she said.

The flyers were distributed around campus, many times placed next to campus publications, but most have since been removed. Even so, they may not directly violate Georgetown’s Speech and Expression Policy, which states that “expression that is . grossly offensive on matters such as race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation is inappropriate.”

“`Grossly offensive’ is a very subjective term. Generally the university prefers more speech than less with the hope that it brings about more conversation,” Martha Swanson, director of student organizations, said, adding, “I find it hard to believe that some people actually think this … I would have preferred to have not seen it.”

Josh Demby (MSB ’07), co-president of GU Pride, said that they believe in the right to free speech and understand that the speech may not be something they would like to hear. At the same time, the flyers were discriminatory, he said.

“The flyers in question are inflammatory to such a degree that they create an unwelcome environment for LGBTQ students,” he said.

In an anonymous e-mail, the distributor said the New Current would not become a recurring publication.

VanSant said that he remained unfazed by the flyers.

“I don’t give it much credibility, there’s nothing new here,” VanSant said.