Another 1-0 Game, But a GU Win

It has been either one or nothing for the Georgetown men’s soccer team recently.

In their last four games, the Hoyas are 2-2, with two shutout losses and two 1-0 wins.

Georgetown (9-7-0, 5-4-0 Big East) got its latest victory on Saturday with one of those 1-0 wins over Marquette in Milwaukee, Wis.

Although the victory is only the Hoyas’ second win in their last seven games, it guaranteed the team no less than a fifth-place finish in the Big East blue division, clinching a playoff berth, With the defeat, Marquette falls to 1-6-1 in the Big East and 5-8-1 overall, keeping the Golden Eagles in the basement of the blue division in their first season in the Big East.

“Fortunately, the two wins out of those four games were the two conference games, so that was a good thing,” Georgetown Head Coach Keith Tabatznik said.

Last year the Hoyas were the leading offensive team in the Big East. The Hoyas have not been as productive on offense this year, averaging only 1.42 goals and 13.1 shots a game – down from 1.90 goals and 14.5 shots per game last year – but junior midfielder Daniel Grasso seems not to have noticed. In the Hoyas’ last two wins, both game-winning goals have been scored by Grasso on opponents’ turnovers.

Saturday night Grasso scored the only goal of the game in the 34th minute. On a miscue by a Marquette defender, Grasso collected the turnover and sent a shot into the upper corner past Eagles sophomore keeper Steven Grow.

“We got into a pretty good rhythm with the ball, and the goal came from . a great finish from Daniel,” Tabatznik said. “Just a fantastic shot into the upper corner.”

Georgetown looked to jumpstart its offense and extend its lead, but only two minutes after the goal Hoya senior midfielder Ben Jefferson-Dow was ejected with a red card for a rough tackle.

“It was a very surprising red card,” Tabatznik said. “For the rest of the game – the last 55 minutes – we were playing a man down and Marquette was chasing the game very hard, but our team defending was tremendous.”

For the rest of the game the Eagles played with a man advantage, challenging the Hoyas with 19 shots, but they could not find a way to score. Junior defender Tim Convey led the Georgetown defense in the absence of senior captain Jeff Curtin, who continues to battle a groin injury. Junior keeper Andrew Keszler made seven saves for his fourth shutout of the season.

“Nothing stopped us. We just didn’t finish our chances,” Marquette Head Coach Steve Adlard said in a press release. “We had an open goal twice, but put it wide both times. We’re not ruthless enough. We’re not clinical enough.”

Only two points separate the first and fifth place teams in the blue division, and with two conference games remaining, the Hoyas could finish as high as first or as low as fifth. Seton Hall, who defeated Georgetown 4-1 earlier this season, is currently in first place with 17 points. Georgetown has 15 points, which places the team behind Connecticut, West Virginia and Notre Dame, who are all tied with 16.

Georgetown will have a chance to add three more points to that total tomorrow when they play host to Pittsburgh. The Panthers (3-10-1, 2-7-0) are seventh in the blue division and are coming off three straight losses, the most recent a 2-1 defeat at the hands of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

A win tomorrow is crucial for the Hoyas as they work to gain momentum entering next week’s playoffs.

“We could still finish first, so we’ve got a lot to play for,” Tabatznik said.

Kickoff for Georgetown’s final home game is set for 2 p.m. tomorrow on North Kehoe Field.