Another Strong Showing for GU

Georgetown was more than friendly with the top of the results board at this past weekend’s Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, N.J., collecting seven first-place finishes and a few more NCAA qualifications.

Junior Nana Hanson-Hall took first place in the 800-meter run with an NCAA Regional qualifying time of 2:07.81, a personal best.

“Nana has been putting everything together and putting in the work, so she’s going to be able to have a good second half of the season,” Director of Track & Field and Cross Country Ron Helmer said.

Right behind Hanson-Hall was Hoya freshman Christine Whalen, finishing second with a regional qualifying time of 2:09.09, while sophomore Ashley Hubbard set a personal best once again in the event. Hubbard was eighth with a Big East and ECAC qualifying time of 2:11.17.

Junior Liz Maloy ran clear from the field in the 1500m race, clocking a personal-best time of 4:27.48 and qualifying for the NCAA East Regional Championship. The win added a regional qualification to Maloy’s previous qualification in the 5000m race. Freshman Avril Ogrodnick finished in second with a time of 4:29.86, qualifying her for the Big East and ECAC championships.

“These girls ran a great race which I was very happy with,” Helmer said. “The weather wasn’t very good and they finished the race strong.”

In the distance events, senior Andre Laboy ran to an IC4A qualifying time in the 5000m with a time of 14:35.55, while sophomore Justin Scheid raced to a Big East qualification in 14:42.60. Laboy and Scheid finished 10th and 14th, respectively.

Freshman Andrew Bumbalough ran to a ninth-place finish in his first 1500m of the season. His time of 3:51.28 qualified him for the Big East and IC4A meets. Sophomore Dan Nunn was close behind with a time of 3:52.25, good for 14th and a trip to the conference championships.

The sprinters excelled at the meet. Junior Jayne Penn ran to a first-place finish in the 400m dash with a time of 57.10. Freshman Charlene Tillet and sophomore Alex Baptiste completed the trifecta, finishing in second and third with respective times of 57.78 and 57.84.

The freshman pair of Sonya Sullivan and Buky Bamigboye swept the hurdles races, as Sullivan won the 400m hurdles in a season-best and Big East qualifying time of 1:03.7. She finished four seconds ahead of second place. Bamigboye captured the win in the 100m hurdles with a time of 14.62.

Junior Ashley Mondie completed an impressive double, winning both the long jump and the triple jump with respective leaps of 5.40 and 11.87 meters. In the triple jump, Baptiste finished behind ondie with a distance of 11.53 meters.

The Hoyas next race at the famed Penn Relays this weekend in Philadelphia, Pa.