Arsenault Aims To Bring Entertainment to Sellinger

GUSA Vice President Jacques Arsenault (COL ’01) recently met with campus administrators to arrange a student entertainment space in the Leavey Center’s Sellinger Lounge. Though there is no timetable at this point, the plan calls for a stage, television projector, screen, VCR and sound system to be installed.

The proposal originated when Arsenault met with fellow students last spring to discuss a better use of university space for student leisure. The focus was put on Sellinger Lounge and the Village C multi-purpose room. Arsenault has suggested an 18-inch permanent stage along the wall opposite Uncommon Grounds in Sellinger. Another proposal put forth by the university facilities department suggested a portable stage. The stage would facilitate various student entertainment such as a cappella groups and open-mic nights, according to Arsenault.

Students will be able to take advantage of the new equipment to watch Hoya Basketball games and other athletic events as well as GUTV broadcasts, Arsenault said. Pool tables have also been considered for the space, he said.

Arsenault did recognize, that many students already use Sellinger Lounge for studying and socializing, and the plan will account for them. The new entertainment equipment is not intended to disrupt those students, Arsenault said.

There is no current timetable for the Sellinger Lounge proposal to be put into effect. Arsenault explained that GUSA and the university are waiting to see how construction in the Village C patio area progresses. Sophomore Representative Trey Street and Freshmen Representative Anthony Marinello are working on a plan to open the Village C Multi-Purpose room to students. Under this proposal, the university would add pool tables, couches, a big screen television and VCR, and possibly a snack bar to the space. The multi-purpose room is expected to open by March 2001.

Arsenault commented that making better use of university space for student leisure is important. “There’s definitely a lack of space for students on campus,” he said. “There are a lot of students who like to socialize without alcohol. Having a place to do that on campus is very valuable.”