At Least One Injured In Late-Night Altercation

A verbal disagreement between two individuals in an Alumni Square stairwell escalated to a physical altercation late Sunday night, during which at least one was injured and required hospitalization.

Two males, accompanied by several companions, broke out into a loud argument in the Alumni Square courtyard at around 11:30 p.m. The altercation then spilled into the McBride building of the apartment complex, where yelling continued for 5-10 minutes before a physical fight erupted.

The Department of Public Safety and GERMS both responded to the incident.

DPS Director Darryl Harrison said that one of the students involved in the altercation was taken to Georgetown University Hospital, but that no one was seriously injured.

GERMS Public Relations Director Alicia Nelson (COL ’08) said that GERMS treated two patients early Monday morning, but declined further comment.

Harrison said that the students involved in the fight were roommates.

“It was the typical roommate disagreement,” Harrison said. “I would imagine that since it’s close to finals and the end of the semester, there’s a lot of pressures and stress involved.”

Vice President for University Safety David Morrell said that he was unsure of what started the fight but said the people involved had probably been drinking.

“Given the number of unnecessary fights on campus, it’s more than likely that alcohol was a factor,” orrell said.

At least four DPS officers were present on the scene. Harrison said that he did not recall MPD being involved and that there were no charges of assault.

“This was handled internally,” Harrison said. “It was not serious at all.”