ATM Woes in Leavey Continue

After more than a month, technical problems persist with the automated teller machine that the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union maintains in the Leavey Center. The machine hasn’t dispensed cash or been available to perform transactions since August. Despite efforts to fix the machine, including the hiring of a professional technician, there is currently no definitive repair date, GUASFCU Chief Executive Officer Chris Petrilli (MSB ’03) said.

“We’ve had a series of technical problems and had to order new parts,” Petrilli said. “The board of directors has decided that should the next shipment not work out, we’d have to order a new ATM.”

A new hard drive and copies of the malfunctioning original parts were ordered when the ATM first broke down on Aug. 22. GUASFCU also hired an ATM technician to help with any future problems that would require specialized expertise.

Further problems arose when the updated parts of the machine were combined with certain original parts.

“It was decided the hard drive was the problem, but the computer was really old, so we had to buy a new mother board to support the new hard drive and new monitor,” Petrilli said. “None of those worked, so now we are waiting for new upgraded software.”

The latest shipment is expected by the end of the week and is GUAFSCU’s final hope.

“A new ATM machine will be $75,000, so we’d much rather fix this than buy a new one,” Petrilli said.

The Credit Union is a non-profit, student-run organization founded in 1983.

The Credit Union has another ATM machine in working condition that is located on the bottom floor of New South. The two other machines on campus charge withdrawal fees, with one run by the Hoya Federal Credit Union and located past Bulldog Alley in the Leavey Center and the other being a Riggs National Bank machine located outside of the Ryan Administration Building.