Ayn Rand Scholar Focuses on Objectivism

A leading expert on novelist Ayn Rand’s complex philosophy of objectivism led a discussion Wednesday night that attempted to explain the author’s oft-misunderstood doctrine.

Faithful proponents and avid detractors of Rand’s philosophy gathered to hear Dr. Andrew Bernstein, a member of the Ayn Rand Institute, speak on the central tenets of objectivism. In his speech, Bernstein used Rand’s two most famous novels The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged to illuminate Rand’s thoughts on the purpose of human life.

Bernstein began the lecture by reading three selections from The Fountainhead, each of which portrayed the novel’s hero, Howard Roark, displaying a lofty desire.

“This is the essence of Rand’s heroes,” Bernstein said. “To burn with passion for certain values.”

In the context of objectivism, “Values are those things that fill your life with meaning,” Bernstein said, also defining value as “something you are willing to work for.”

Benstein then discussed the most famous elements of objectivism, its elevation of selfishness to a virtue in itself.

“Objectivism dictates that you should pursue your own values, your own happiness,” Bernstein said, “This is selfish in that it is about yourself.” He traced the concept of self-sacrifice to the Judeo-Christian tradition and its secularization in Marxism, both of which objectivism seeks to counter.

“To stand by principle is selfish,” Bernstein said. “To be truly heroic means to stand up for oneself, to be concerned with oneself.”

Bernstein was careful to qualify this statement by claiming that the selfish person does not have the right to “step all over other people.” The use of others is as contrary to objectivism as altruism is, Bernstein said, as both value systems undermine the integrity of the individual.

With regard to altruism, Bernstein said, “Mother Teresa may hold the hands of the lepers while they die, but its the Ayn Rands of the world who cure the goddamned disease.”

Bernstein spoke at length about Rand’s commitment to rationality as “the happiness producing faculty.” Emotions, according to him, were to be felt, but not acted upon. Objectivism requires a strict commitment to fact and reality, not to slanted perceptions, Bernstein said. He ended with a defense of capitalism as a necessary prerequisite to an objectivist life.

“The mind cannot function under coercion,” Bernstein said. “Political and economic freedom are necessary to the pursuit of values.”