Bearcats Dominate, as Hoyas Fall in Big East

Scoring was a limited good in the Georgetown-Cincinnati women’s basketball game last Wednesday. While three Hoya starters tallied points in the double digits, the other two could only manage one field goal.

After the Bearcats held the Hoyas to six points over a seven-minute stretch in the second half, Cincinnati went scoreless for six minutes. Nevertheless, the Bearcats won 87-68, increasing the Hoyas’ losing streak to four games.

Like usual, Georgetown had a hard time converting scoring attempts into actual points. With a .382 field-goal percentage, the second lowest in the Big East, the Hoyas (8-10, 1-6) rank third-to-last in the Big East.

Though on Wednesday night the Hoyas did a little bit better than usual, making 40.4 percent of its shots, the Bearcats (13-5, 3-4) outdid them by connecting on 52.6 percent.

Junior guard Treasure Humphries provided the spark that Cincinnati needed to get on the board, dishing out assists left and right. For the Bearcats’ first three field goals, Humphries got the ball to freshman swingman Shelly Bellman in the paint each time.

With 14 assists and just two turnovers on the game, Humphries put on a ball-handling clinic as she broke the school’s single-game assists record. On top of that, Humphries had 10 points and five rebounds.

At the half, the Bearcats were ahead 39-31, but it was at the outset of the second half when they would put the game away. Cincinnati built up its lead to a game-high 26 points with 12:17 remaining on a 26-8 run.

While Humphries continued to feed her teammates the ball, junior guard Karen Twehues drained a trio of threes during that stretch. Twehues made the most of her 20 minutes on the floor, racking up six three-pointers to give her 18 points on the game.

Georgetown and Cincinnati ended up taking the exact same number of shots with 57 each, but Twehues and her treys made a big difference, as the Bearcats went 10-for-16 as a team from beyond the arc, while the Hoyas were 5-for-13.

The Bearcats began to cool off midway through the half, though, and the Hoyas put together their own 11-0 run over the next six minutes.

Despite the late effort, Georgetown would never be able to cut its deficit to less than a dozen points for the rest of the game.

Senior shooting guard Bethany LeSueur and sophomore point guard Kristin Heidloff finished with 15 and 13 points, respectively. But keeping the ball in their hands kept it out of the others, as senior swingman Kate Carlin and freshman center Katrina Wheeler took hardly any shots. Carlin, who averages 9.8 points per game, was held to one three-pointer that came early in the first half. Wheeler, meanwhile, did not score any points, despite her 9.3 average.

Teammate Kieraah Marlow was there to pick up the slack with 27 points and 10 rebounds for her second double-double on the season.

Cincinnati’s Bellman kept up Marlow’s pace, though, collecting 26 points of her own. Bellman has developed into a major force for the Bearcats in her first season, leading the team in points with 12.7 per game, as well as being one of its top rebounders. She had seven boards against the Hoyas, bringing her season average up to five.

With their next game against the No. 10 Rutgers Scarlet Knights, things will not be getting any easier for the Hoyas. Star senior guard Cappie Pondexter is averaging 21.9 points per game, the second-highest total in the conference. Game time is 3 p.m. in cDonough Gymnasium.