Book Honors GU M.D.

Professor Emeritus of Medicine and Medical Ethics Edmund Pellegrino has been honored by the recent compilation of many of his significant works in a new book, entitled Physician and Philosopher: The Philosophical Foundation of Medicine: Essays by Dr. Edmund Pellegrino.

The book contains essays on a number of medical and philosophical topics, such as healing, compassion and decision-making about patient care. Also explored are ethical-religious themes relevant to the practice of medicine.

In particular, an essay about the Book of Job describes how to deal with suffering patients. “To be sure, the physician must practice detachment – but he must practice a compassionate detachment,” Pellegrino writes. “He must have a capacity to step back from Job’s ills and anguish, to diagnose them accurately so as to treat them rationally. But, if he is also to help, he must confront, with his patients, the deeper anguish that transcends the pain and the physical ravages of the disease.”

Pellegrino is the founder of the Center for Clinical Bioethics at the Georgetown University Medical Center, an institution that serves as a resource for health care professionals. According to a press release, “Center scholars bring expertise in theology, philosophy, basic science and clinical practice to today’s ethical challenges.” All proceeds from the book will benefit the center.

“The Center for Clinical Bioethics was founded to bring ethics directly into the daily teaching, research and patient care of the medical center. It compliments the Kennedy Institute of Ethics, which is a very distinguished center; the two work very closely together,” Pellegrino said. “Ethics can be philosophical and/or theological, and so we approach problems philosophically and theologically because this is a Catholic institution.”

The book was compiled by two of Pellegrino’s colleagues: Roger J. Bulger, M.D., president of the Association of Academic Health Centers in Washington, D.C., and John P. McGovern, M.D., president of the McGovern Foundation. The foreword was written by a physician who received his doctoral degree under Pellegrino’s instruction.

Pellegrino, though flattered by the new book, remains humble about his accomplishments. “I’m overwhelmed by it. I think that it’s a surprise that [my friends] pay that much attention to my work. I’m very pleased to be recognized.”

Pellegrino received his M.D. from New York University. During his over 50 years in medicine and university administration, he has served as departmental chairman, dean, vice chancellor and as president of Catholic University in Washington.