Bottom Line for the Big East

This late in the season, the men’s soccer team is only partially in control of its destiny. In order for the team to move to the postseason tournament, it will need a little help from its conference mates. Here’s a breakdown:

HOYAS:

With a 3-6-0 record in the conference, the most points the team can obtain are 12 (four wins with three points for each win). Only with a victory over Connecticut next Saturday can Georgetown remain in contention for the eighth and final tournament berth. The top seven teams in the conference already have 13 points, so Georgetown cannot catch up to any of them. Even with a win, the team will need its competitors to fall in order to grab the last spot.

Boston College:

With a 3-4-2 record, the Eagles currently have 11 points. A win over Seton Hall on Saturday would give them 14 points, enough to knock the Hoyas out of contention for the tournament. A loss for Boston College coupled with a win from either Georgetown or Villanova or two wins from Pittsburgh would keep the team from advancing to the tournament.

Villanova:

The Wildcats sit in the eighth position after an important 1-0 win over Providence last Sunday. The team’s record is 4-5-0, giving the team 12 points. With one game remaining in conference play, a victory against Notre Dame next Friday would clinch a spot in the postseason tournament. A loss would leave the team susceptible; either a win by Boston College or Georgetown would prevent the team from moving on in November.

Pittsburgh:

Pittsburgh has only seven points in the standings, but still has two games remaining in its schedule. By losing to either Virginia Tech or Syracuse, the team has no chance of earning the eighth spot in the standings. If the team does win both games, it will have 13 points, enough to make it to the tournament if Boston College, Georgetown and Villanova lose their final games.

What it means for the Hoyas:

Only if Boston College, Pittsburgh and Villanova each lose one game can Georgetown hope to grab the last invitation to the postseason tournament. Saturday’s game against Connecticut is a must-win. By defeating the Huskies, the Hoyas will have 12 points, surpassing Pittsburgh and Boston College and tying Villanova in the standings. Having defeated the Wildcats 2-0 earlier this season, the team will win the eighth spot.