Brand New Softball Posts First Win

Against Coppin State on Sunday at the 2006 Capital Classic, Georgetown softball did something it had never done before: It won.

Thanks to a four-hit complete game by freshman Courtney Clark and a two-run single by freshman shortstop Katherine Incantalupo – who scored the first run in program history last Friday – Georgetown opened the final date of the three-day weekend tournament with a 7-2 win for the history books.

“It makes me hungry for more. I want more wins,” said senior outfielder Stephanie Sartori. “I think it validates all the long hours, all the running, the sacrifices we made, and it also opens our eyes to the fact that we can win.”

“It’s great that our freshmen are doing well,” she added, “because I would say that they’re the foundation of our program. . They’re going to be here for the next three years, so it’s great that they’re doing well now. It looks great for our future.”

Five days later, the game remains the team’s only victory. In a Wednesday doubleheader against Gardner-Webb that served as its inaugural home game at the rejuvenated Guy Mason Field, Georgetown succumbed twice to the eight-run mercy rule, falling 8-0 and 13-1.

Georgetown’s win at the six-game Capital Classic was framed by five losses, split among Albany, Delaware State, Mount St. Mary’s (twice) and Coppin State, which defeated the Hoyas a day before Georgetown’s watershed win.

The team opened the spring season with 12-0 and 17-0 losses to GW.

But it is Sunday that the Hoyas will remember. After each team left a runner on base in the first inning, sophomore leftfielder Brittany Sonnischen singled to open the second inning and advanced on a wild pitch. After senior first baseman Lauren Camp and pitcher Clark struck out swinging and looking, the string of breaks began.

Gallinari was hit by a pitch. Campbell reached second base when Eagles pitcher Danielle Summerour, a sophomore who went all seven innings, delivered an errant throw to first. Then Incantalupo singled and drove in two unearned runs.

“We didn’t stop. We weren’t satisfied with just scoring once,” Sartori said. “We had a really great attitude throughout the entire game, and we played really well as a team. .We wanted to do whatever it took to win.”

Georgetown tacked on two more an inning later, when Clark’s bases-loaded single scored junior catcher Cathy Richter, who had doubled to start the third. On the next at-bat, freshman rightfielder Christina Gallinari earned an RBI when her single brought freshman designated hitter Katie Zoch home from third.

The Hoyas stretched their run total to seven on a fifth-inning RBI groundout by Clark and a sixth-inning throwing error by Eagles shortstop Melissa Bell, a junior. Coppin State, the “home” team, got on the board in the third and the seventh thanks to a passed ball and a throwing error by junior third baseman Lacey Campbell.

In all, the teams combined for seven errors: Georgetown three, Coppin State four. Seven Georgetowners collected one hit each; Incantalupo finished 1-for-3 with 2 RBIs, Clark 1-4 with 2 RBIs, and Gallinari 1-for-2 with 1 RBI.

Clark gave up four hits and no earned runs over the course of her seven innings.

“She was great,” Sartori said. “She pitched a complete game, so that took a lot. We only have two pitchers, and we played two, four, six games this weekend. That was a lot – that was after coming back from spring break – and to play a whole [seven-inning] game, I felt like they really had a lot of heart.”

On Wednesday versus Gardner-Webb, there was no such luck, offensively or defensively. In the first game, the Bulldogs followed two scoreless innings with an explosion in the top of the third. They rode four hits and four errors to a six-run lead, followed by two more runners plated in the fourth.

The Hoyas notched two hits off the bats of Richter and sophomore centerfielder Katharine Lang, and pitcher Clark surrendered 14 hits and four earned runs in five innings.

In Game Two, Gardner-Webb drove to a 12-run lead before the eight-run rule took effect after the fifth inning. The Hoya offense got two hits from Incantalupo and Lang, and starting pitcher Anna Wheatley, a sophomore, gave up 12 hits and three earned runs over the first four innings, leaving the game to Clark with the score at 11-1.

“We were really disappointed, because we felt we could have won that game,” Sartori said. “We shouldn’t be giving them little freebies. We should just do our routine things, play the game of softball. I think we were all disappointed. . Although the score doesn’t show it, we did much better the second game, so we’ll use it as a learning experience, see what we did wrong and improve on it.”

Georgetown returns to the diamond Tuesday, March 21, for two more games against Coppin State. The first game of the doubleheader, this time at the Eagles’ home turf in Baltimore, will start at 2 p.m.