BulldogTakes Bath for ESPN

Rub a dub dub . Jack the Bulldog in a tub? Though the mascot gets down and dirty cheering on the Hoyas at Georgetown athletic events, he rarely gets a bath. Cast members of ESPN’s “Beg, Borrow and Deal” decided it was about time the grimy canine cleaned up his act – as one of their many required tasks, the team of contestants showed up on Jack’s doorstep armed with sponges. Jack’s scrub-down will be aired on the show’s third episode tonight at 8 p.m.

ESPN’s “Beg, Borrow and Deal” features two teams, each consisting of four players, that began in New York City with only their driver’s licenses and the clothes they were wearing – no money, credit cards or other resources allowed. As the show’s name suggests, contestants must beg, borrow and deal their way across the U.S while completing 10 of 40 sports-related tasks and get to Alcatraz Island in San Francisco, Calif., before the other team.

The four-person Team Cobi made it to Washington, D.C., three days into their cross-country trek this spring to try and complete task No. 34 – organizing a touch football game with members of Congress, including at least one senator. After their efforts were rained out, the team turned to the very first task on the list – bathing a college mascot.

Team members got in touch with Georgetown University and met Jack the Bulldog at his off-campus apartment around three in the afternoon. “[The team chose Jack] by process of location and that [Georgetown] was the most well-known university in D.C.,” ESPN marketing manager Christopher Carnel said. “[The team] received the address of the mascot from the athletic department and just showed up at his house – the mascot had no idea who these people were or what they were doing.”

Although Jack was suffering from a sprained ankle at the time and not very excited about the idea, he said it didn’t take too much convincing to get him to agree to the sponge bath in full uniform.

“I wasn’t really thrilled . I really wasn’t in a good mood because of my ankle. Under other circumstances, I probably would have [enjoyed it more],” Jack the Bulldog said. “I was just chillin’ on my futon when [the team] came over with their sponges.”

Though the clip that will air will only be a few minutes, Jack said moving around the apartment to choose the best location and setting up the right shot took about a half hour.

“It was a lot of fun . I felt so bad for him though – going up flights of stairs for us, getting up and sitting down, even just to get into the costume must have been in terrible pain,” cast member Josh Gates sympathized.

Gates said he was satisfied that they had chosen Georgetown’s mascot for the task. “For a guy with [an injury] to get into costume for us shows a lot of spirit,” Gates said. “I’m not sure how much fun he had, but [the team] had a great time.”

The episode will air Tuesday, Oct. 1 at 8 p.m. on ESPN. Hearing of the airdate, Jack said, “I’ll have to call my mother.”