Burleith Neighbors Seek End to Traffic Headaches

Burleith residents proposed solutions to traffic-related problems and discussed the implementation of these solutions with city officials Tuesday evening. Bothered by congestion, speeding, cut-throughs and oversized vehicles, they are looking for ways to reduce traffic flow in their community.

“We in Burleith enjoy the benefits of being close to the city, but our location brings the problems of being along major commuter routes,” the BCA’s February newsletter said. “We also face the traffic impacts of local institutions, including Georgetown University, Duke Ellington High School and the Washington International School.”

Although most university students will probably not be affected by the potential changes, students who do own vehicles will most likely experience the consequences. According to Linda Greenan, vice president for external relations at Georgetown, a significant suggestion that residents proposed involved creating one-way streets.

“[The residents] discussed making 39th Street one-way going south to Reservoir,” Greenan said.

Other potential changes include replacing stop signs with traffic signals, correcting missing or incorrect signs, moving bus stops and restricting access to side streets. The BCA is also considering the addition of a leading left arrow on the traffic signal that leads to Entrance One of the Georgetown University edical Center.

While several suggestions were offered at the monthly meeting, BCA President Pat Scolaro said that no definitive solutions have been implemented yet.

“A lot of suggestions were made [but] no specific decisions were made,” she said.

Burleith citizens have already taken small steps to improve traffic flow on Reservoir Road, however. As part of a joint plan, edStar Health Systems and Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E made several changes to signs and parking on Reservoir Road last year. Still, while minor projects have been tackled by the BCA, Greenan said that the entire project is a long-term endeavor.

“This is not going to happen tomorrow,” she said. “It’s a long way off from happening.”

The city officials who attended Tuesday’s meeting included Ken Laden, a DPW official in charge of traffic management, and Norma Mapp, another official responsible for signs. Metropolitan Police Department Second District Commander Peter Newsham and Lieutenant Brian Bray attended the meeting representing MPD.

Lieutenant Patrick Burke of MPD’s traffic division was also present. The officials discussed the feasibility of implementing the proposed changes with residents.

“[City officials] are going to look at [these suggestions] and survey the area,” Greenan said. “They’re going to broaden this discussion [to include other counties],” she added.