Bush Nominates Law School Professor for D.C. Judgeship

Georgetown University Adjunct Professor of Law Lynn C. Leibovitz (LAW ’85) was nominated for a Washington, D.C. Superior Court Judgeship by President George W. Bush on May 14. In addition to teaching a class in trial practice at Georgetown, Leibovitz is currently the acting chief of the homicide division in the Office of the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia.

Leibovitz is the White House’s third nominee for a position on D.C.’s city court. The first two nominees are currently in the process of being confirmed by the Senate, and Leibovitz’s nomination is being forwarded to the Senate for confirmation. If confirmed, Leibovitz, as a member of the top court for D.C., will be handling everything from civil to criminal law cases.

“I feel very honored and very excited,” she said. “It’ll be a challenge.”

Leibovitz has been teaching at the Law Center since 1997. She said she hopes to continue teaching courses at the Law Center after she begins her judgeship.

“It’s nice to have the Law Center and the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the courthouse all so close to each other,” she said.

Leibovitz said she was introduced to teaching while serving as the training director for the Assistant United States Attorneys at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for two years.

Leibovitz said she chose to teach at Georgetown because it is “a school I have a lot of loyalty to.” Leibovitz’s husband was a professor at the Georgetown Law Center for about 10 years. Leibovitz said she enjoys all of the classes she teaches.

“Trial practice is a lot of fun for me because it’s something I do,” she said. Trial Practice is a course regularly offered at the Law Center involving mock trials that also includes discussions on trial ethics, techniques and strategies.

Leibovitz has worked in various positions at the U.S. Attorney’s office in the District for 11 years, but she has always centered her professional work around criminal prosecution.

In addition to the Homicide and Professional Development sections, she worked in the Federal Narcotics division.