Campaign Georgetown Polls Student Life Issues

Source: Campaign Georgetown

Results from a telephone poll conducted by Campaign Georgetown earlier this month on a variety of student life issues indicate that off-campus housing, crime and transportation are the student life issues that most concern students.

“We guessed those [issues] would be important because they’re what we’ve been dealing with in the past, but now we have a little more of something to go on,” Campaign Georgetown Co-Chair Drew Johnson-Skinner (COL ’04) said.

The poll found that 61 percent of students think Georgetown fails to provide adequate services to off-campus students, 87 percent are concerned about the availability of affordable off-campus housing, 72 percent are concerned about both on- and off-campus crime and 79 percent are concerned about insufficient public transportation.

“Housing, crime and transportation are issues that are important to Georgetownresidents and students alike,” Co-Chair Eric Lashner (COL ’05) said. “This poll confirms that there are many matters on which students and their neighbors can and must cooperate.”

In preparation for the ANC November election, Campaign Georgetown used the poll to gauge student opinion on community issues. Georgetown currently holds two of seven seats on the ANC, but plans to have three candidates run next year. Campaign Georgetown has yet to announce the candidates.

“I’m happy to hear that Campaign Georgetown took the time to conduct the survey because I think it will prove to be helpful to know what the interests of the students are when candidates run in the future,” ANC Commissioner Justin Kopa (COL ’03) said.

Campaign Georgetown also polled students on their understanding of the ANC, finding that 40 percent of students are aware of the group. Johnson-Skinner said he was happy with the number because they have yet to begin campaigning or registering students.

“Just knowing that we’re already at that level without doing any work was good news to me,” he said.

Typically, Campaign Georgetown is able to register about 1,000 of 6,000 Georgetown students to vote in Washington, D.C.

“In the past, Campaign Georgetown has been remarkably successful in registering students to vote in the District,” Johnson-Skinner said. “Clearly, these efforts will once again be a precondition for the success of student candidates and will begin in earnest next fall.”

The study also showed that 94 percent of respondents believe it is important that a Georgetown student serve in local political organizations such as the ANC and that 63 percent are concerned about its relations with the university’s neighbors.

“I’m happy to hear that there was such an overwhelming support for the ANC,” Kopa said.

“The result speaks to the hard work of Commissioners Wagner and Kopa as well as the increased involvement of Georgetown students in local politics,” Campaign Georgetown Co-Chair att Ingham (COL ’04) said. “We’re proud to play a role in bringing the entire Georgetown community – both university and neighborhood – closer together, and, when necessary, in protecting student rights against encroachment from neighborhood activists and the District government.”