Campus War Demonstrations Continue

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Georgetown students sit in silent reflection in Red Square to protest the war while GU Republicans flyer the walls behind them Tuesday night.

Despite rainy weather and a week of classes, Georgetown students pressed on in their attempts to make their views on the Iraqi war visible, holding a peace vigil, an anti-war sleep-in and a pro-war rally in Red Square.

Members of Georgetown Peace Action continued their sleep-in protest in Red Square, which began nine days ago on Mar. 19 at 10 p.m., when President Bush announced that hostilities had commenced in the Persian Gulf.

The College Democrats, Campus Greens, Georgetown Solidarity Committee and GU Peace Action sponsored a silent candlelight peace vigil Tuesday night at 9:30 p.m. in Red Square and the College Republicans met at 10 p.m. in Red Square for a pro-war rally.

“We’re here to show the student body two opinions and to show how a lot of other students feel,” David Benjamin (COL ’05), president for College Republicans, said. “Those in favor of the war haven’t been represented on campus and we think it’s important to share the other side of the story.”

Tuesday’s pro-war rally included the drawing of pro-war slogans in Red Square with chalk as well as posting flyers throughout campus that urged students to support the troops and “protest Saddam.” Benjamin said that the College Republicans would continue to support the war effort.

“We will continue to voice our opinion indefinitely,” he said. “Since troops are now on the ground fighting, the time for debate is over and it’s time to support our troops and make them feel appreciated at home.”

Tuesday night’s peace vigil coincided with part of the Republicans’ rally.

“Our vigil was large enough that it kept the College Republicans from participating in a noticeable protest,” Scott Zumwalt (COL ’06), media relations director for the College Democrats, said.

“We and the other progressive campus groups participated in the vigil to support our troops and the Iraqi people.”

Zumwalt said that the College Democrats have not officially endorsed the sleep-in led by Peace Action, but that they would reach a decision to support or oppose the sleep-in at an administrative meeting Sunday night.

Jane Li (SFS ’06), who has spent five nights sleeping in Red Square with GU Peace Action, said that the protest helps remind her of the gravity of the current situation in world affairs.

“By having this presence out here on campus, we make the protest against this war visible and show people that not everybody supports this war,” she said.

Benjamin said that the sleep-in was born out of a need for attention without attempting to encourage a meaningful debate about the war.

“It’s sad that they have to resort to base tactics to get attention for themselves. People shouldn’t give them the attention that they crave just for camping out in tents. People should pay attention to their opinions, but not to their tents,” he added. “We will never campout to protest. We will never pitch up tents to gain attention.”

Li disagreed, contending that attention was important in order to begin a constructive dialogue on the war while keeping the government responsible in the execution of the war.

“Attention is important because it makes a statement and it initiates discussion,” she said. “I know it’s not going to stop the war, but sometimes we have to do something. In general, when you have people protesting it brings and element that makes the administration more aware and holds them responsible of their actions. It helps make sure that the war is carried out more justly.”

Zumwalt clarified the Democrats’ stance towards the war, stating that while they supported U.S. troops overseas, they did not support the reasons that the Bush administration offered for the war or American unilateralism in going to war without the backing of the United Nations Security Council.

“We support our troops overseas and wish for their safe return, but regret that they were placed in the current situation,” he said.

Benjamin remained critical of recent anti-war protests, including the political overtones at last Sunday’s Academy Awards show in Los Angeles, where some actors and actresses spoke out against the war.

“It’s unfortunate that the event had to be turned into a political spectacle,” he said. “But it has given America the opportunity to see how out of touch Hollywood is with the American public and even with the American government.”

But Li contended that all Americans have the right to express themselves and convince people of what they feel is right.

“Anybody as a citizen or human being has the right to express themselves regardless of their profession,” she said. “If they can convince people of their opinion, they should be able to do that.”

GU Peace Action representatives said that they plan to continue the sleep-in indefinitely.