Candy As An Olive Branch

This Halloween, as always, trick or treaters will be trickling down Georgetown’s streets, satanic demons will be haunting Gaston Hall and Riggs Library, and students will let a bit of tradition sneak into their busy lives. And, in a new project informed by an optimistic spirit, students will be reaching out to the neighbors they are so often at odds with. The Senior Class Committee has organized a “Hoya Halloween” in which students who live off campus can sign up to offer candy to neighborhood children. Schools and parents will receive a list of addresses and time slots so kids will know where and when to get candy.

According to Ben Martin (COL ’01) of the Senior Class Committee, the project was conceived over dinner one night. “It’s a good way to get students involved in the community, and it just seemed like fun,” he said.

An E-mail sent out to main campus seniors on Tuesday encourages students to participate and prove to their neighbors that they aren’t “noise-making alcoholics,” but “caring individuals who understand responsibility.”

This gesture came on the heels of recent heated controversy over the university and its students’ behavior off campus, including residents filing a lawsuit against the university. In the lawsuit, Tom Schneidermann and Julia Falconer allege that noise and disruptions have caused them physical and emotional distress and seek as a remedy $100,000 in damages as well as numerous court orders which would effectively shut down Copley and Healy Lawns as venues for student activities, including graduation.

The “Hoya Halloween” project is entirely student- run, and the committee has made a concerted effort to publicize the event.

“We’ve contacted principals of area schools, dropped off fliers and let both the [Georgetown 2E Area Neighborhood Comission] and Burleith Citizens Association know what is going on,” Martin said.

Seniors have until the end of this week to express interest. “We’ve already had 70 houses sign up,” Martin said. “I expect 75 to 80 houses will participate.”

The Senior Class Committee will also provide discounted candy to students. According to Martin, the Corp will be selling candy to the committee at wholesale cost, and the committee will then sell the candy to students at the same rate.

“Hoya Halloween” is part of a larger effort to reach out to members of the community, who have recently expressed much consternation over loud, inconsiderate students, he said. “We have an obligation to act like citizens. [Hoya Halloween] isn’t something that anyone has an obligation to do, but it should be a good time for both sides,” Martin said.

Just one week after the event on Nov. 7, the D.C. Board of Zoning Adjustment will convene to make a final decision on whether to modify, reject or accept Georgetown’s 10 Year Plan. The BZA has indicated off campus student behavior is a chief factor in their consideration of the plan, and has postponed their decision in order to consider this and other aspects of the plan more fully.

Voters will go to the polls in D.C. on Nov. 7, as well, where they will elect commissioners to the ANC, a key group in approving off campus student activities as well as some on campus plans that deal with district regulations. Two students, Justin Wagner (COL ’03) and Justin Kopa (COL ’03), and one alumna, Regina DeMeo (SFS ’94) are running for seats on the commission.