Canes’ Record Streak Dies at McDonough

Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Sophomore middle blocker Sara Albert and the Hoyas swept a weekend pair.

Coming off a disappointing shutout loss to George Mason last Tuesday, the Georgetown women’s volleyball team rebounded this past weekend, emerging victorious in both matches and improving their Big East record to 3-1.

The Hoyas first played host to Virginia Tech on Saturday, Oct. 5, again getting off to a slow start, losing the first game 29-31. Georgetown, however, shut down the Hokies for the next three games (31-29, 30-27, 30-25), and won the match 3-1.

Georgetown held the Hokies to a .194 hitting percentage and walked away with 11 blocks, six more than Virginia Tech. Commenting on the women’s improvement, Head Coach Li Liu said, “Our focus for the weekend was the details. We focused on the basics and played with greater energy.”

Senior outside hitter and captain Lauren Warner led the Hoyas with 15 kills, 12 digs and three blocks, posting her 10th double-double of this season. Warner commented, “We improved our focus overall and came up with big plays at crucial times, which we lacked against Virginia Tech.”

Junior setter Jen Ward contributed 45 assists and 14 digs, while sophomore outside hitter Julie Grauert had 13 kills and 13 digs. Junior defensive specialist Molly Healy, currently playing the libero position, posted nine digs and two assists.

Sophomore middle blocker Sara Albert played another solid game, finishing with a match-high five blocks in addition to 10 kills, 11 digs and a match-high .500 hitting percentage.

Georgetown faced an even bigger challenge on Sunday, Oct. 7. The University of Miami entered McDonough Gymnasium without a loss in 26 matches, the nation’s longest undefeated streak. In an intense five-game match, the Hoyas snapped the Hurricanes’ win stretch and earned a huge Big East win.

After winning the first game, 30-26, Georgetown played a rocky second and third game, losing 12-30 and 16-30. Proving their potential, the girls were determined to win the match and did not give up. They came back to win the fourth and fifth games, 30-27 and 15-12.

“It was a huge win for us,” Albert said. “We came in as the underdogs and upset them.” Albert led the Hoyas’ victory, recording a triple-double with 10 blocks, 11 kills and 11 digs. Warner repeated yet another excellent performance, posting a match-high 24 kills and 10 digs, her 11th double-double of the season.

Ward recorded 51 assists and 10 blocks, and Grauert tallied 16 digs and seven kills. Freshman outside hitters Natasha Nguyen and Ashley Lancaster continued to step up their play, while senior middle blocker Anna Kleinsorge remains sidelined with a shoulder injury. Despite this setback, the team has adapted well to her absence. Kleinsorge is expected to return soon to the lineup, while freshman outside hitter Rachel Nelson, who was returning from an injury, played only a few minutes.

Hoping to feed off of this past weekend’s momentum, Albert added, “We need to focus on consistency, calm but focused play and confidence on the court.” Georgetown travels to George Washington tonight and plays host to another Big East opponent, Notre Dame, this Saturday, Oct.12 at 2 p.m.