Car Crash in Cloisters Leaves One Dead

According to the press release, Leroy Good was driving down 37th Street at high speed and lost control of his red Buick LaSalle after he entered the Cloisters, a residential community along Reservoir Road.

The car became airborne, hitting two trees and the house of John Doolittle, an American University professor, before coming to rest striking a Jaguar in the driveway of a neighboring house, the release said.

Doolittle said that he and his wife were awoken on Saturday morning by a loud noise and “a tremor in the house.” No one in the house was injured as a result of the crash.

Doolittle said that after he looked out of the window and saw what he thought was smoke, he went outside to find damage to the house and yard and Good’s car, steaming from a broken radiator.

While Doolittle’s house sustained extensive damage to the exterior wall and doorframe, he said that a city building inspector came to the house Saturday and found no danger of structural collapse.

The press release said that around 7:16 a.m., an MPD officer pulled alongside Good at Wisconsin and Massachusetts Avenues to inform him that a headlight was out on his car. The officer sounded his horn and turned on his lights, at which point Good accelerated and drove away. The officer did not pursue Good. After the crash, officers found several plasma flat-screen televisions in the back seat and trunk of the vehicle, the press release said.

Good was transferred to the George Washington Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at roughly 8 a.m., while an unidentified passenger remains in critical condition.

As of yesterday, a formal incident report had not been filed at PD’s Major Crash Investigation Unit.

Good was a junior at Shaw University in Raleigh, N.C., his aunt, ichelle Scott, said. Scott said that Good frequently drove home to visit his family on the weekends.

“He was a wonderful person, very loving and family-oriented and ambitious,” she said.

Scott said that she does not believe Good returned home on Friday and was unaware of the televisions found in Good’s car. She said coping with the accident has been difficult.

“We’re just supporting each other in this hard time and this has brought us closer together,” she said.

Chuck Larson, a resident of the Cloisters who owns the Jaguar hit by Good’s car, said that he was initially unaware of the accident. He said that he and his wife thought nothing of the noise because jets had been flying overhead recently as part of the dedication of the Air Force memorial in Arlington, Va.

“A neighbor called and asked if we had looked out front,” he said. “I came out and saw total chaos.”

Larson said that Good’s car stopped roughly two inches from his Jaguar, after grazing the back bumper and leaving a trail of red paint across it. He said a plasma television also hit his car and garage after flying from Good’s trunk.

Larson said he does not know the cost of the damage to his vehicle.

After MPD and the D.C. Fire Department removed Good’s car, neighbors were left to clean up the remaining debris, such as glass and shrubbery on walkways and driveways.

– Hoya Staff Writer Vidhya Murugesan contributed to this report.