CARA Names New Executive Director

Georgetown University has concluded its search for an executive director to head the university’s Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, naming Sister Mary E. Bendyna to the post on Tuesday. The decision comes after her nine-month tenure as interim director of the organization.

Bishop John J. Leibrecht, chair of the CARA Board of Directors, said in a university press release that Bendyna “brings a wealth of talent and experience to this position. CARA is in good hands with an outstanding staff and excellent leadership.”

Bendyna will be the first woman to serve as executive director of the center. She has been a senior research associate for CARA since July, specializing in questionnaire design, focus group facilitation and statistical analysis.

“I look forward to being of service to both CARA and to the church,” Bendyna said. “We’re a social service research center, and we pride ourselves in high quality research . [and] in providing unbiased information to the Church.”

Bendyna praised the work of CARA’s staff and board of directors, saying she is ready to continue to serve the organization.

“It’s been a wonderful experience,” she said. “I’ve really enjoyed my job very much and look forward to serving in a new capacity.”

CARA is a non-profit, Georgetown-affiliated research center founded in 1964 that conducts social scientific research into issues involving the Catholic Church.