Charges Filed in Prospect Assault

Two Georgetown employees were allegedly assaulted last Friday by a former university staff member who entered a satellite location of the Office of the University President on Prospect Street.

Richard Brown, director of Georgetown University Press, which shares the building with the satellite office, identified the suspect as Randall Lee, who was previously employed as assistant to the president for executive communications. Brown said that Lee is no longer employed by Georgetown.

Officers from the Department of Public Safety were called and arrived at the office before Lee left the scene, according to university spokesman Erik Smulson. DPS called the Metropolitan Police Department, who arrested Lee and took him to the Second District police station.

Lee has been charged with simple assault, said David Morrell, vice president for university safety. He said that there were “no serious injuries.”

Scott Bragg, publishing assistant at the GU Press, witnessed one of the victims speaking to a DPS officer Friday morning about the attack.

Bragg could not identify the victim but said that he did not look physically hurt, although he was “flustered.”

“It’s a scary incident, but we’re glad it’s not someone off the streets who just snuck in,” Bragg said.

Morrell said that Lee has been barred from campus.

All of the locks to the building were replaced on Wednesday and security codes will also be changed, Brown said. He added that DPS officers have been patrolling the front of the building on the street level since the incident.

“It shows that this is a fairly serious and significant issue that DPS has been asked to watch the entrances,” Brown said. “The concern is this guy is out and about and made threats to employees at the lower level.”

Staff members working on the lower level refused to disclose information but confirmed that the workplace is connected with the Office of the President.

DPS and MPD are actively investigating the situation.

Morrell said that DPS is coordinating in the investigation with PD.

“The university responded quickly,” Morrell said. “It is making support services available to everyone involved.”

Brown said that employees have been provided with photocopies of Lee’s GOCard. Staff members have been instructed to call DPS immediately if he is seen anywhere near the building.