Classic Pub Stays Cozy and Casual

HANNAH HILL / THE HOYA

Whether for the great atmosphere, the excellent food or the all-night happy hour on Tuesdays, it seems that just about everybody and their brother knows about Chadwicks —and for good reason.

The small, pub-style restaurant advertises itself as “casual dining at its very best,” and if this review could be summed up in a single phrase, this would be it.

We arrived late Monday night and were seated immediately. We were instantly greeted by a warm, cozy atmosphere, reminiscent of a family dinner or a get-together at your favorite pub back home. The dimmed lights, television and very large two-level bar all contribute to the warm ambiance of the restaurant.

We started with a heaping plate of onion rings and fresh calamari. While the onion rings were hardly anything to write home about, the calamari were delicious. The platter came with an assortment of jalapeños and diced peppers along with a small bowl of very spicy, very delicious marinara sauce. I was also greatly relieved to find that our plate was absent of those miniature squids most restaurants include with the calamari. A huge plus.

Next came the entrees: fish tacos and a plate of sliders, which combined two cheeseburger sliders, two turkey burgers, and two crab cake sandwiches. The fish tacos were cooked perfectly as was each and every slider, but the crab cakes were the highlight of our meal.

Finally, we ordered the mud pie for dessert. To simply say that it was delicious would be a gross understatement and a blatant slap in the face to the course itself. The slice we received was probably more than enough to feed four hungry people (this was also true for every other plate we received that day) and consisted of an Oreo cookie crust, chocolate ice cream and a chocolate chip and coffee-flavored whipped-cream topping. I would return to Chadwicks just for the mud pie.

Chadwicks is a Hoya favorite and a staple in the Georgetown neighborhood, and it enjoys much popularity. If you ever find yourself homesick and reminiscing on your favorite hometown bar-slash-eatery, take the short walk to K Street and indulge yourself in some delicious pub-style food. One caveat, however: be sure to use the restroom before you get there. One too many all-night happy hours have made Chadwicks’ restrooms best reserved as a last resort.