Club Team Stays Perfect

WATER POLO Club Team Stays Perfect By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s club water polo team will test their perfect 7-0 record this weekend at the Atlantic division championships to be held at the University of Maryland.

The Hoyas, tied for 13th place with Chico State University in California in the national top 20 collegiate club poll, will meet Virginia at 10 a.m. Saturday. The Hoyas defeated fifth-seed Virginia 13-6 in the first tournament of the season.

At 6:15 p.m., Georgetown faces off against local rival Maryland. The fourth-seeded Terrapins dropped to the Hoyas in a 13-5 battle at the second league tournament at Villanova.

Georgetown’s victories have all been decisive, with the Hoya offense outscoring its opponents 92-36, and the defense holding all of its competition to under 10 goals.

Senior Lee Conant was named the Atlantic division player of the week after the second tournament of the season, where he racked up 15 goals for Georgetown. Conant’s season best came in the Hoyas’ 14-8 win against James Madison, where he scored seven goals and drew the majority of the Dukes’ eight kickouts.

In the other bracket of the Atlantic division it will most likely be Richmond and James Madison, second and third seeds, respectively, vying for a spot in the championship game. James adison trounced Richmond 15-4 in head-to-head competition, but it was Richmond that gave Georgetown its closest game of the season. The Hoyas defeated the Spiders by only five goals, 15-10, the smallest margin of victory for Georgetown all season.

Due to the Hoyas’ domination of the division all season long, the team remains confident that it will reach the championship game, which will be played at 12:30 p.m. Sunday.

“I’d be surprised if anyone stays within five points of us all season. That was our closest game and we’ve only gotten better since then,” junior co-captain Marshall Spooner said. “We have had a really good last two weeks of practice with our new coach and we are in great shape right now.”

The team will offer a bus to take students to the University of aryland on Saturday to see the Hoyas play the Terrapins at 6:15 p.m. The bus will leave from the Healy Gates at 4:30 p.m., and return after the game.