College Honors Professors for Excellence

English professor Paul Betz, philosophy professor John Brough (CAS ’63, GRD ’70) and psychology professor Steven Sabat received the College Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Fall Convocation of the College Faculty on Nov. 11.

College Dean Jane McAuliffe presented the awards.

“This award celebrates those who embody the ideal of teaching excellence,” she said, “These professors represent what it is we educators love about our vocation and what we strive to emulate. They are among Georgetown’s finest faculty.”

Betz has been a professor of English at Georgetown since 1965. He particularly enjoys the works of Wordsworth and 19th-century literature. His private collection of 19-century romantic texts has allowed students to experience the texts he teaches first hand. Betz earned his Ph.D. and M.A. from Cornell University.

Brough has taught philosophy at Georgetown since 1966; his research has focused on phenomenology, the philosophy of art and the history of modern philosophy.

According to his award citation, “His students remark that his teaching style `combines a rich sense of humor, a sharp wit and a genuine concern for his students,’ and that he `is one of the finest teachers I have encountered.'”

Sabat, a professor of psychology, earned his Ph.D. from the City University of New York and his M.A and B.A. from Queens College. He specializes in the study of Alzheimer’s disease and the effects of brain injury on human beings. Teaching at Georgetown since 1975, he is described by his colleagues as having the “rare gift of combining challenging rigor with supportive encouragement.”

All three recipients were first nominated by their respective departments, and were then chosen by their peers and endorsed by the dean of Georgetown College. The winners each received $3,000, a citation and an engraved gold-plated medal.