Consistency Eludes GU at Home

The Georgetown volleyball team’s play has resembled a rollercoaster as of late. Last weekend they were able to snap their three-game losing streak with an impressive three-set victory over St. John’s on Friday. On Sunday, however, the Hoyas reverted to their poor form with a three-set loss to Connecticut.

Determined to end its losing streak, Georgetown (11-9, 1-3 Big East) accomplished its goal Friday night against St. John’s (8-11, 1-2) with a 25-16, 28-26, 25-22 victory. The Blue and Gray got off to a slow start in the first set before taking a 7-6 lead that they would not relinquish. The Hoyas finished off the Red Storm with an 8-1 run behind the stellar play of junior middle blocker Vanessa Dorismond, who hit an outstanding .857 in the first set.

Unlike in the first set, the Hoyas took a commanding early lead in the second set. Near the end of the set, though, the Red Storm surged back to take a 23-22 lead. Georgetown then regained its footing and was able to reclaim a 24-23 after a kill from freshman middle blocker Lindsay Wise. After trading points, two straight kills from Dorismond and freshman outside hitter Paris Coleman ended the set 28-26, putting the Hoyas up 2-0.

The third and final set remained tight throughout: Georgetown’s 18-13 lead was the largest of the set. Once again, St. John’s rallied to bring the score to 22-21, but the Hoyas then responded with a 3-1 run to close out the set and match. Sophomore setter Ashley Malone, who recorded 10 assists in the set, delivered a resounding kill for the match’s final point.

The victory was both the Hoyas’ first of the Big East season and Head Coach Arlisa Williams’ first over the Red Storm.

“This win for this group has just such significance,” Williams said. “It’s the first time anyone on this team has been able to beat St. John’s and it’s a huge confidence booster. I think our ability to grind it out was huge, especially in the second set. We’ve been on the other side of that so many times, so to finish strong bodes well for us in the Big East conference.”

The performance of two of the team’s freshmen, Coleman and Wise, was key in the Hoya victory. Coleman registered eight digs and 11 kills, and Wise added nine digs and eight kills.

alone also played a pivotal role in the Georgetown win with 36 assists, as she consistently provided her teammates with prime hitting opportunities.

“Ashley Malone really stepped up tonight.” Williams said. “Ashley was able to get our hitters kills, demonstrated by our .239 hitting efficiency and we had an evenly set match where all of our hitters were doing good things.”

On Sunday the Hoyas hosted the University of Connecticut Huskies (10-9, 3-1) and were unable to maintain the momentum from the St. John’s match in a 25-20, 25-22, 25-20 defeat.

The Blue and Gray were slow out of the gates, quickly found themselves down 0-4 before Dorismond and junior outside hitter Kortney Robinson spearheaded a 7-0 run to an 11-7 lead. A 7-0 Connecticut run shortly after put the Huskies out in front 18-14, an advantage they would maintain for a 25-20 win.

Unlike in the first set, Georgetown never managed to gain the lead in the second set. The closest the Hoyas came was a 6-6 tie as a result of two kills from senior Kiersten McKoy. The game remained close throughout, but the Huskies ultimately took the set 25-22.

In a close third set that saw eight ties and two lead changes, the Hoyas fought hard to keep the match alive, but ultimately fell short as the Huskies clinched the set and the match 25-22. Georgetown simply could not handle UConn’s strong .309 hitting efficiency.

“We played well in spurts,” Williams said of her team’s performance. “If we do that consistently we should be good.”

Wise led the Hoyas hitting .417 and Dorismond had a team-high 11 kills.

“Lindsay played well and with a lot of effort,” Williams said. “She was effective in service and transition. Robinson and Victoria Rezin also played very well.”

The Hoyas now find themselves at the bottom of the Big East standings with a 1-3 conference record, but Williams remains upbeat.

“I think we have our work cut out for us,” Williams said. “We have put ourselves in a hole but we can work out of it.”

This weekend the Hoyas face Big East rivals Pittsburgh and West Virginia. Friday night’s game, the Dig Pink Breast Cancer Awareness match, matches Georgetown against Pittsburgh and begins at 7 p.m. On Sunday, the Hoyas host West Virginia at 2 p.m.

“We have a huge rivalry against Pitt,” Williams said. “We have won the past two years. We need fans out here to support us.” “