Corp Plans Coffee Stand In Lauinger

Mitch Fox/The Hoya Midnight Mug, the newest coffee venture from The Corp, will be located on the second floor of Lauinger Library.

Georgetown students pulling all-nighters in Lauinger Library will no longer have to trek to Leavey or depend on a machine for their caffeine fix, the Corp and library jointly announced last week. The Midnight Mug, a coffeehouse projected to be the size of Uncommon Grounds, will be constructed on Lauinger’s second floor. Though no specific date has been set, organizers hope to open the venture by the end of the school year.

“The library is one of the spaces on campus that students desire coffee most, whether on the way to morning class or for a late-night study session,” Vice President of Operations of the Corp Leslie Baldwin (COL ’04) said.

“Late at night when I don’t have time to walk to Leavey, it is certainly going to entice me as well as many other students to buy coffee,” Katie Jennings (COL ’05) said. “It’s a great idea.”

Baldwin said that the Corp and the library want to contribute to the community sense of the building by creating a meeting ground for students and faculty on the second floor, an area traditionally known for its social atmosphere.

“It’s already noisy down here anyway, so the coffee shop will be a good thing,” Stephanie Daniel (COL ’05) said. “People come down to get coffee and soda from the machines already, so this won’t make a difference.”

Student demand is what prompted the Corp and library to begin looking into the possibility of a Lauinger coffeehouse, Baldwin said. The service comes despite other expansion plans also on the horizon, including a tentative service in the Southwest Quadrangle Project. The service, which would likely serve the same products as Vital Vittles, was approved by the Corp over a year ago. Plans have not been finalized regarding the service’s exact location in the Quad, a building initiative that will feature a 780-bed residence hall, dining hall and Jesuit residence that will sit atop an underground parking garage.

“I think it will bring the upperclassmen on this side of campus to the library, even if it’s solely to buy coffee, because it’s closer than UG,” Jennings said.

Baldwin said the name for the new service came from student submissions earlier in the month in Red Square and Late Night at Leavey. The final name came from a submission by Eric Hazra (COL ’06).

Although the exact hours of operation have yet to be released, some students are hoping the coffeehouse will serve them late into the night.

“As long as they stay open 24 hours a day, it’s worth it,” Sean West (SFS ’05) said. “It’s sort of worthless if they close at 1 a.m. because I won’t need coffee from them at three in the afternoon.”

The size of Midnight Mug’s staff will be determined based on the needs of the service, and the director will be chosen in the next two weeks, according to Baldwin. According to President of the Corp Justin Pytka (COL ’04), the process for choosing a director will mirror that used for the organizations other branches, including an application and interview process. The director of the new project will come from within the organization.

“The Corp, following the motto of `Students serving Students,’ is always looking for new ways to work for the Georgetown student community as well as the larger Georgetown population,” a joint press release from the Corp and Lauinger Library said.

Final details about Midnight Mug are still being discussed and will be released at a later date.