CROSS COUNTRY Hoyas Finish Sooner in Oklahoma

Building upon their win last weekend at the Mount St. ary’s Invitational, the Georgetown women’s cross country team ran to its second consecutive first place finish last Saturday at the Cowboy Jamboree Invitational in Stillwater, Okla., while the men made a strong showing in their first meet in innesota.

The Hoyas scored a mere 35 points to take the top spot at the meet. Oklahoma State (59) and Adams State (80) fell behind for second and third. Kansas State (110) and Kansas (157) rounded out the top five.

“It was a pretty dominant performance,” Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Ron Helmer said. “Oklahoma State is a pretty good team, and in time we’ll see what it means for our program.”

In only the second cross country race of her Georgetown career, junior Jill Laurendeau paced the team with a 17-minute, 35 second fourth place showing.

Junior Erin Sicher ran second for the team, crossing the line only five seconds behind Laurendeau, finishing fifth overall.

“Erin backed up a good performance last week with another really good one. She’s demonstrating that she can excel in big-time cross country,” Helmer said.

Freshmen Nicole Lee and Jodee Adams-Moore claimed sixth and seventh, timing 17-minutes, 48 seconds and 17-minutes, 52 seconds, respectively.

“Jill and Erin did an incredible job in setting the tone and the freshmen followed and drew strength from the group. They went along for the ride early on and got tough at the end when they had to get tough.”

Sophomore Colleen Kelly was the fifth scorer for the Hoyas, as she recorded a mark of 18-minutes, 8-seconds to garner 13th place.

Sophomores Rose Wetzel, Amanda Pape, Teniere Clement and Sara Scholl, and junior Carly Nuzbach also ran to times that placed them in the top half of the 124-runner field.

Next week the team will travel to Lehigh University for the Paul Short Invitational.

While the women were busy in Oklahoma, the men’s team took a completely different route last weekend, traveling to St. Paul, inn., for the Roy Griak Invitational, where the team placed 13th.

Freshman Rod Koborski was the first Hoya to cross the line, as he covered the eight-kilometer course in 24-minutes and 36-seconds.

“The potential is there,” Assistant Coach Patrick Henner said. “With Franklyn Sanchez and Mike Smith redshirting, we’re fairly young, but we’re in a situation now where we need some upperclassmen to really step up.”

Junior Kalpanatit Broderick, freshman Chris Esselborn and juniors Dan Tebbano and Tom Howell each scored points for the Hoyas.

“Rod had a fantastic race and was the top freshman by far,” Henner said. “I was also very impressed with Chris Esselborn’s effort. The freshmen prepared themselves very well this summer. Once [senior captain] Chris Miltenberg rejoins the team, if the effort is there, we should be in a very good position to take a run at a top-ten spot at nationals.”

The 13th-place team finish came on the heels of a second place performance at the William & Mary Invitational last weekend. Next week, the men will join the women to compete at the Paul Short Invitational.