CSP Rejects Tango Club

A graduate student who had hoped to form a student tango club plans to appeal the proposed group’s rejection by the Center for Student Programs, which said that the club would be too similar to existing dance groups on campus.

Andrea Metz (GRD ’07) said that she and over 50 other students were interested in forming an Argentine Tango club, and that she had met with the Graduate Student Organization and filed the proper paperwork.

But Martha Swanson, director of student programs, said the group’s application was denied in the interest of existing dance groups.

“We don’t allow duplicate organizations in an effort to support groups we already have,” she said.

Georgetown has several student dance organizations, including the Ballroom Dance Club and Ritmo y Sabor, a Latin dance performance group. Metz, however, said that her group would differ significantly from any existing dance club.

“Argentine tango is not to be compared with ballroom tango, and the ballroom group has already expressed to us that they do not focus on tango,” Metz said.

Swanson said there are many options available for Metz even though her club application has been denied.

Metz said she is planning to write a letter of appeal to the GSO next week.

Heather Maginnis, assistant director of student programs, said that space on campus is too limited to support another dance club.

“[Metz] is still free to do or have lessons, but she doesn’t need to start a separate club,” she said. “We’d have to assess each case individually . but right now dance space is very limited.”

Metz said that she was disappointed by the decision, noting that she and other interested students had already lined up a popular Argentine Tango instructor.

“There are countless Ivy League and well-known universities that have full fledged tango clubs as part of their programs,” Metz said. “The fact that Georgetown cannot have an independent tango club is embarrassing and hinders our efforts in trying to become part of the greater university tango community.”